Need ideas for a caliber on a barrel replacement.

jomoeng

So my dad has asked me to help him get a Sake L61R 264 win mag re-barreled. Seeing as how this will be mine one day, I am reviewing his calibers and mine together to search for something new. Between the two of us here is what we either have or already have in the works:
6.5 creedmoor
6.5 Sherman Mag
300 win mag
257 weatherby mag
His made over moisen nagant. I know nothing about that caliber.
375 h&h
35 whelen

We are looking for another deer rifle and frankly between the two of us I can't think of any calibers we are in need of that would work with the bolt face on the 264 win mag. We discussed just having it a new barrel in the same caliber but with the sherman having nearly the same velocity and more efficient case design, it doesn't seem to make sense. We would just get another Sherman built.

I looked at the 284, 280, another Sherman Mag, 6.5 stw, 7mm stw. My dad isn't particularly interested in the 7mm calibers although I wouldn't mind a 7mm stw. Nothing seems to excite me at this point as something new that we don't already have covered. Most of our shots are under 600 yards on deer. We don't really need an elk rifle or varmint rifle.

Thanks,
Joe

Do you ever have aspirations of shooting at game at longer than 600 yards? If so then you might want to think about a cartridge that will do what you are wanting and more for when you are ready to shoot longer distances. Do you mind fireforming brass and the other necessary steps that it might take to do something like the 6.5 Sherman?

If it were me, I would build a 280AI. That will stomp deer easily to your distances. Very efficient and not bad recoil (virtually none if you put a good brake on it). You don't have to fireform any brass since nosler already makes 280AI brass.

And then I just read that your dad isn't interested in the 7mm types haha. Oh well.

If you wanna keep it at 6.5, you should look hard at the 6.5x284. That is going to be my next build.

My issue is we do have the 6.5 sherman. So it seems like most of the 6.5 cartridges are attempting the same velocities in a less efficient cartridge. I personally love the 6.5 cartridges and would love to find another one.

If we did ever want to shoot beyond 600 yards we do have the 300 win mag and 6.5 sherman. But I am not opposed to another 1000 yard cartridge, I was just hoping for something we didn't already have. Then again another one of something we already have cuts down on reloading issues.

What does the 6.5x284 offer that the 6.5 sherman doesn't?

Thanks.

Less velocity...lol. I misread your whole post I guess. I was reading it as if you were wanting to build a rifle from that list. My apologies.

You sure are skipping a good caliber by not wanting to do a 7mm.

Joe - take away the consideration that the rifle will eventually be yours. Build what your father wants and enjoy it that he is happy. His happiness is better than any rifle.

He told me to just build him a second 6.5 Sherman unless I came up with another idea. I am trying to see if there is anything I am leaving out that may be a viable option. I did just read up on the 270 Allen mag that would appear to have the same bolt face. I was hoping people with more experience than me would say something magical and making me think, why didn't I think of that.

I felt like he was settling with a second 6.5 Sherman because he didn't really care for the 264 win mag but wanted similar long range power.

You sure are skipping a good caliber by not wanting to do a 7mm.

Yep... I agree.

If he is open to the .257 Wby, then I suggest the .25-06 AI 40-degree. Much cheaper brass, very efficient case, uses less powder, and is within 100 fps of the .257 Wby.

270 Weatherby would be a good deer gun. So would 7mm Rem mag but I understand he's allergic to 7mm. I don't see any .338s in the arsenal, maybe a 338 win mag?

270 Weatherby would be a good deer gun. So would 7mm Rem mag but I understand he's allergic to 7mm. I don't see any .338s in the arsenal, maybe a 338 win mag?

My thoughts are also with you on a 270 WBY and a Benchmark Barrel. Able to launch 165gr Matrix bullets at over 3200fps or 150gr bullets at over 3350fps...

28 nosler with 195 bergers
27 nosler with 165 matrix
270 stw with 165 matrix
270 Sherman with 165 matrix
26 nosler with any 142
270-300 win
7mm- 300win

I mean really for what you want it for you have a lot of rifles that will do the job so what ever one flips your skirt up.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.