need help

Been there and done that. A buddy mine has a Mueller and loves it. He has the Tac II model. Good glass for the money as far as I am concerned. I know there has been a lot of guys on an off this sight and others that use the Vortex Crossfire and love it. They said it was one of the best scope for turret twiddling they have owned for what they could afford. Vortex so far has good customer service, so chances are, you have a problem with it, send it back and wait to be satisfied! I can vouch for Nikon as well. Started my long range career with a Buckmaster 4.5-14x40. Still have it on my short barreled .308. Good to 800yrds. I now have a Vortex Viper with target dot that replaced a Buckmaster 6-18x40. Let me see what I can find you:

Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield E1 Rifle Scope

Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield II Rifle Scope

Hawke 4-16x50 Eclipse 30mm Riflescope

Millett 4-16x56 Buck Gold 30mm Riflescope

Mueller 8-32x44 Target Dot 30mm Riflescope

Redfield 4-12x40 Revolution Rifle Scope

Vortex 2.5-10x50 Crossfire Rifle Scope

Vortex 4-12x40 Crossfire Rifle Scope

Vortex 4-16x50 Crossfire 30mm Rifle Scope

Vortex 6-24x50 Crossfire 30mm Rifle Scope

These are my choices for the $250 and under category. Hope this makes it more confusing!:D My votes go to the Vortex and Redfield (Low End Leupy glass, but better than a lot of other low end scopes). Burris has some good deals going on right now offering additional equipment with the purchase of a scope. Might be worth a look.

Of your choices the Weaver and Mueller get the nod.

Let us know how it works out,
Tank

Last edited:
I have a better idea. Fine a rich girl at college who likes to hunt, who's dad owns huge tracts of great hunting property!!!!

WOW thanks for all the feed back guys especially you liltank you've gave me alot to think about. I really like that millet but I would like somthing that zooms to atleast 18x maybe more. And the objective on the millet is 56!!! thats big.

Keep in mind Exit Pupil. You really need at least 3mm of exit pupil to properly resolve under poor lighting conditions such as dawn or dusk. That 56mm objective is not a bad thing. My main scope goes up to 18x and only has a 42mm objective, so when the light starts to fail, I have to dial back to about 12 or 14x to really resolve and engage. I am dead *** serious when I say a Quality 14x is all most folks need to seriously see and engage a 1 gallon milk jug filled with red dye water. Think seriously about *ANY* animal you would ever engage at 1k. What size is that animal? Is it bigger than a 1 gallon milk jug? Red dye water semi blends in with the surroundings, that color is not a "Chance" thing. 18x is ok for quick spotting such as counting prongs ect....but it definitely can get to be a liability on a hard hunt.

So there you are, you been hiking for the better part of 4 hours, BAM a monster buck at about 600 yards! Wind is not in your favor, ****!! Ok, gotta get this shot off or loose it.... your heart beat and respiration is likely elevated right? Mine would be. You really think 1million x magnification is going to be your friend here? NOPE! It is going to make getting that shot off even harder. There are some certified hunting NUTS on this site, ask them. Seriously.

Look, I am not dead set against High Mag, under certain circumstances it is great! If you shoot from a mechanical rest at targets Far Far Away, then bring it on! But when your heart beat is literally moving your cross hairs....or center dot, that sucks balls for precision.

Long range precision shooting is Not Easy. The Devil really *IS* in the details.

Gary

I do like the swift do you have any experience with it?
I noticed in your previous post that you mentioned the mueller target scope but not the tactical 8.5-25 44. Just wondering why?

Diriel I agree with you when it comes to hunting I will probably not go over 12-14x when I am hunting but I do plan on doing some target shooting with it and would like a scope that can zoom out there, No I can almost promise that I will never shoot a 1k shot in my life, the terrain around my home is not going to allow that.(but I would love to try a 1k shot, just for fun) But 500+ yes that I will be doing and thats why I want a bigger magnification. 20x+ might be going over bored but hey it's there if I want it.

Last edited:
I do like the swift do you have any experience with it?
I noticed in your previous post that you mentioned the mueller target scope but not the tactical 8.5-25 44. Just wondering why?

May have missed that one! Sorry! A good place to go to check on some of these scopes is Midwayusa.com and look at the comments section. Take it with a grain of salt, but some of the comments really have some good info. Stay away from comments that say, "just plain junk!" and the like. This is usually someone writing angry and really out of sorts over their product. More than likely upset they didn't buy the scope they really wanted.

Tank

Last edited:
Well the tactical 8.5-25x 44 is only $159 I really like it its mil-dot which I like. The only thing I wonder about it is how it tracks? Honestly what I'm looking for is something around or over 18x with any objective that's not a issue. I also prefer turrets and mil-dots. And it has to be under 250 or fairly close to 250. And I if it tracks good then that's great too.

In all honesty, getting a scope that you can really and truly Crank The Turrets on for less than about $600 is going to be near to impossible. That is not the scope snob coming out, it is just mostly the way it is. Sure, a cheaper scope Might Track true for a while, but it wont be all that long before it will go south on you. Hate to say it, but it is true. There are good reasons why scopes that Track True and Keep tracking true for a LONG time are expensive. It costs a lot more time/money to machine such precise parts, and when you use the type of materials that will maintain their integrity time after time, it is just plain expensive.

Good luck,
Gary

Yea that's why tracking isn't as important because I don't have the money right now it would just be nice to find one that would track but didn't think it would be possible.

Because of the Customer Service Vs. Price, I would very honestly advise you call Scott and Liberty Optic in montana. Ask him for his advice, he is a stand up guy who will tell it like it is! He really knows his stuff, and will guide you to a scope choice that will meet your price point in the best way possible.

Gary

Because of the Customer Service Vs. Price, I would very honestly advise you call Scott and Liberty Optic in montana. Ask him for his advice, he is a stand up guy who will tell it like it is! He really knows his stuff, and will guide you to a scope choice that will meet your price point in the best way possible.

Gary

I second that, and I can almost tell you that he will tell you to go Vortex, Bushnell Elite, or the Nikon Buckmaster. He is very much liked on another sight I frequent. As far as crank ability, the Vortex still gets my vote, and the Mueller too. Though I got to see the internals of a Weaver and they look pretty solid.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.