Need help with the lightest weigh deer rifle

ShootnMathews

Hey guys. I'm always coming here for suggestions and help. I've got another one......my dad is getting up there in years and is not able to carry those heavy guns any more and he has me on the hunt for the lightest weight deer rifle I can find. It needs to be deer quality caliber. A 243 is the smallest I'd go and I see no need to go bigger than like a 308. I'm leaning more towards the 260 or 7mm08. Plenty of power for deer with low recoil in a light gun

The lightest I can find is a Savage lightweight Hunter at 5.5 lbs with a 20" barrel. Does anyone know of a lighter gun than that for under $1000???

Thanks.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    92.4 KB · Views: 145
Hey guys. I'm always coming here for suggestions and help. I've got another one......my dad is getting up there in years and is not able to carry those heavy guns any more and he has me on the hunt for the lightest weight deer rifle I can find. It needs to be deer quality caliber. A 243 is the smallest I'd go and I see no need to go bigger than like a 308. I'm leaning more towards the 260 or 7mm08. Plenty of power for deer with low recoil in a light gun

The lightest I can find is a Savage lightweight Hunter at 5.5 lbs with a 20" barrel. Does anyone know of a lighter gun than that for under $1000???

Thanks.

I would kind of think of a six pound 250 Savage improved with a 23" barrel would be hard to beat. Still I would prefer the .257 Roberts.
gary

T/C Encore and Match Grade Machines (MGM) will make you a barrel in most any caliber and to the length and weight you want. For the lower pressure rounds like the 30-30 Win you can use the even lighter Contender frame. I have a T/C Contender pistol with a 14" barrel in 30-30AI and it will safely push a 125 Nosler Ballistic Tip 2670 fps and so far out to 150 yards it SMOKES deer. I have killed a dozen of so deer with this pistol and I had one rut fired up buck take three jumps and crash and one other nose plow about 25 yards. All the others have been BANG FLOP.

The Howa Alpine Mountain rifle looks pretty interesting they claim it weighs 5.7 lbs with a bansners/hi tech stock, and a cerakoted barreled action there is a couple on gunbroker a 308 for $829 & 7-08 for $977

If you are just hunting in the woods, the marlin 336 30-30 with a 1x4 scope is hard to beat, even out to 200yds. For over that, well, that Savage looks good, but a really lwt rifle can be a bear to hold still for longer shots too! If he's shooting out of a box blind, with a good rest, its a lot easier, but still going to show a lot of wibbles/wobbles.

Buy the savage in 7-08 and if you reload use 120 BTips and do not look back.

You are not going to beat it for the money and accuracy.

This is the ticket brother! They have the rifle available in synthetic with stainless. Here is the link at savage Savage Arms. If you look they can be had for less than 550. It will shoot a half moa and handle like a dream packing it around. Load it with the 162 amax and superformance powder and you will see 2750 fps all day with no pressure. Shoot the 120s for paper and light hunting duty

Is it likely close quarters in WV?

Sub 200yards. A good ol'd lever gun. The Savage will surely get it done. The Kimber too.

You makes you choice and pays you money.

Savage also makes the lightweight hunter in the model 16 stainless synthetic at $480 is hard to beat. Rebarrel it yourself when you want. I would go with the 111 in a long action so you have more possibilities in the future, like a 6.5x284

Savage 16 Lightweight Hunter SS .243 Win. 22520 : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

while I have never owned a Savage, heard good things. I have been doing some shopping for a light weight rifle, and admit that looks like a pretty good setup for not much $$ at all!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts