Need help with Talley scope ring height

For those of you who use the one piece base/ring talleys what height did you buy? I have a remington 700 with a sporter barrel and a 42mm front bell scope. I do use rain covers so trying to keep that in mind as well. Should I go mediums? Thanks!
I have a rem 700 SA receiver mag muzzleloader that I shopped for scope rings/base for a good while for. I like clean aesthetic flow, light & strong but simple on my guns. I like the Talley rings & their cust serv is great. BUt for the massive recoil my gun had only a one piece would do. The DNZ 1pc Game Reaper is the lightest, most aesthetically flowing scope mount on the market. You can get it in 20moa as well & it mounts right to your receiver. NO RAIL NEEDED.

For those of you who use the one piece base/ring talleys what height did you buy? I have a remington 700 with a sporter barrel and a 42mm front bell scope. I do use rain covers so trying to keep that in mind as well. Should I go mediums? Thanks!
I assume you have a 90 degree bolt throw (2 lug). How thick is the power adjustment ring on your scope? I ask because your bolt handle will usually come up against the power ring. You shoot prone or bench and standing? If prone you are bending your neck at a 90 degree angle for scope alignment and different scope height may be more comfortable. The 42 mm bell will clear a sporter barrel. With that said I usually use medium because scope sight picture usually lines up better with cheek weld when I throw a rifle up. I am presently waiting for a talley high 1 piece mounts for a 300 mag and I don't want kissed in the eye that much plus the scope has a fat power ring and I have more clearance for access into the ejection port. I always just call Talley if I have any questions they have always treated me good on the phone.

As said by Tommy T, distance (range) should be the determining factor. Easy to figure on target shooting, no so easy when hunting. My call, compramize with medium height and learn your reticle well for gudging range.

I was just trying to mount the lows on my boys rem 700 L/A with a Zeiss V4 4-16x44 and ran into a problem. The scope clears the barrel with plenty of room to spare but that scope has very little wiggle room back and forth because of the design of the front bell. The problem is the power ring slightly touches the rear of the base portion of the ring. I believe the mediums will work. Talley lists the heights as per such: low= .400 front .510 rear. Med=.500 front .610 rear. High=.600 front .710 rear. So a short action may be a little more forgiving. Hope this helps, Jason

I forgot to add that this will vary between scope designs as well. The Zeiss V4 has a big power ring! I have a couple Leupold's that work perfect with the lows both are 44mm objectives. Cheers, Jason

I have a rem 700 SA receiver mag muzzleloader that I shopped for scope rings/base for a good while for. I like clean aesthetic flow, light & strong but simple on my guns. I like the Talley rings & their cust serv is great. BUt for the massive recoil my gun had only a one piece would do. The DNZ 1pc Game Reaper is the lightest, most aesthetically flowing scope mount on the market. You can get it in 20moa as well & it mounts right to your receiver. NO RAIL NEEDED.
Talleys are one piece so I'm not sure what you are taking about.

I use talleys a the time as they are fine bases and rings ! I would think medium would work for your 42mm scope !

I have used Talley's for years on all my hunting rifles. Go with the MEDIUM size, and will have no regrets.
Good luck,
Jason

Talleys are one piece so I'm not sure what you are taking about.
Ok,Sorry for my cornfusion & misinformation there. I only saw Talley 2pc rings that mounted to a rail & 2pc rings that mounted directly to a Receiver. Never saw Talley made a 1pc. Don't remember how or why I missed it. Thanks for setting me straight & clearin that up for the guy thats inquiring here as well. I appreciate it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts