Need help with scope, spotter and binos?

Buck3

help. I'm outfitting my kid with a scope and binos then getting a spotter for me. We will primarily be hunting mule deer in E.WA.

As a baseline. I sold my Leopold Mk4 spotter offer last fall. The clarity was the bottom of acceptability for me. We have to count points. My problem was the reticle was always in the way and annoying.

With a budget of $3k I need a spotter, binos and a scope for a 6.5cm. Prioritized in that order. Used is a option.

What would you get? Made in USA is always a plus.

Tough call there, lots of great options but lots of questions too.

How much weight are you willing to deal with?

Do you have a tripod for the spotter?

How large of an objective for your spotter?

In terms of Made in USA, Leupold GR is one of the very few "all American" option.

Used optics will allow more flexibility for choices.

I would prefer a 65mm spotter.

I had plans to order a demo ATX, but my kid is in the middle of his hunters ed class and decided he wants to go. So reallocation of funds.

I don't need something that can dial for this year, however I don't mind getting something he can use later as well. I'm pretty sure he will be hunting with a standard sporting rifle though. So balance will be a concern.

Yes, I do already have a tripod.

I would check out the Meopta brand of stuff specifically the scopes for the price.

I have been tempted to try a Super Sniper light weight, I think it's 2.5-10x32.

If that's enough magnification and light gathering, it might be a good choice.

I'm not a binocular snob. I have some Endeavor ED Chinese binoculars which I think are pretty nice. I also have some Sig Kilo3000BDX LRF binoculars which seem pretty equivalent in optical quality, both seem good to me but they are both value level glass. I hear good things about Tract binoculars, I have one of their scopes and like it.

If you can figure out those two, you'll know your spotting scope budget.

My spotter is an Orion 90mm Maksutov Cassegrain with 500mm focal length and an Arcturus binoviewer. I have about $550 total in it. A Swarovski BTX with binocular eyepiece is more like $4,500 so mine is very cheap. A friend of mine who has used that BTX said mine was surprisingly good. I won't claim it's as good as a Swarovski but it shows that you can get pretty close for a lot less if you look at telescope stuff instead of dedicated shooting/hunting gear that's a bit ruggedized and waterproof.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.