Need help with scope base/mount

wildfire120

Does anybody know who makes a 20 moa base for a winchester model 70 laredo in 7 stw? (It has the pre-64 action) I've bought a couple different ones and had to send them back. I'll attatch a picture of the screw spacing on the action. The bases I've tried so far, had the right screw spacing on the front of the action, but not on the back. I need a closer spacing on the back. They also seemed to be a little short for the length of this action. Any help is greatly appreciated.
20181009_163558.jpg

Talley has rails for post and pre 64 or it looks that way on their website, maybe send them an email, they are really good about responding
[email protected]

I tried an EGW rail for pre 64 long action, and the screw holes on the back are too far apart. I also tried a weaver for pre 64 and same thing happened. Do you think it has something to do with being an stw that the ejection port is longer therefore needing the shorter screw spacing in the back? Here is the rail spacing
1539130731421390629930946645579.jpg

I agree with you that its not a true pre 64 action. And that it is a controlled round feed. But the screw spacing isn't the same. What sub model of model 70 is your rifle?

Ok I just looked at mine and I am not going to take the scope off a rifle that I just sighted in for this hunting season to show you. The mount that I linked has 3 holes in the rear for the long Mag action that you have. It will fit just fine. There are no pre 64 actions in 7 STW because the Stw was invented by Layne Simpson in about 1987.
You can call them with your hole spacings and they will tell you if it will fit. Broz uses them all the time and they are an excellent mount made in ID.

Yes i know that, sir. The particular rifle i have was made in 1998. No way possible is it a true pre 64. However, the pre 64 design was duplicated, -claw extraction, controlled round feed, fixed-type ejection. I don't expect you to take your scope off either. Just didnt think that it would fit because it says that it wont fit pre 64, but you clarified there are 3 holes for the magnum action. Thank you for your input.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts