Need help with rifle build

I have two fluted barrels from Rock Creek. They are really light. Rock Creek is the only barrel maker that understands what fluting is for. I have several Kriegers, two Barleins and a McGowen that are fluted but the flutes have little effect on the weight of the piece. One of my rifles (Model 70 26 inch Rock Creek) is 7.5lbs with a 2.5-10 Sightron installed. MPI graphite stock and no floor plate.

"Not so much as a 338. Maybe something in the 264 WM, 7RM, 300WM zone with long, high BC bullets appropriate for elk. A brake if necessary."

300 win mag would be my first choice, but if recoil is too much I would step down to a .284 win or 7 WSM. The 7 STW is going to be comparable recoil wise to the 300 win. 168 bergers going 3050 are bad medicine for most critters.

I'll throw in my .02 cents Alan. What I use and have used for years is the 300wm. Mine is a trued Remington action, #4 rock creek 10 twist barrel braked in a McMillian/Holland stock topped with a nxs 5.5-22x50. It weighs in at about 10lbs and anyone can shoot it all day long without a problem.
I only shoot two different bullets in it, berger 215's and barnes lrx 200's. I have killed elk with the barnes ttsx but not the berger 215's, reason being is if I have a less than perfect a shot I want a bullet that will penetrate a fair amount. There's No replacement for displacement.

My 2 cents would be for the 7wsm. My brother has a christensen arms 7wsm and that rifle is absolutly deadly. He is shooting a 140grain ttsx at 3250 fps or so thats just off the top of my head and may be off slightly.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts