Need help with rifle build

Alan Griffith

I can't believe I'm actually asking this. Never thought I'd be the one doing the asking but what the heck. I'm already a LR shooter with confidence to shoot out to 1500 yds with either of my 6.5x47's. Three times out of 4, I've placed in the top 9 of the Utah State Sniper Shoot. I've got the skill. I've also got a 20 yr old "lightened" Rem 700 LA and a Krieger barrel owed me by some friends. I'd like something with a little more umph! than the -47 and 140's. Not so much as a 338. Maybe something in the 264 WM, 7RM, 300WM zone with long, high BC bullets appropriate for elk. A brake if necessary. Good trigger. Not sure about the stock. I'll put either a 2.5-10x42 or 5.5-22x50 NF NXS on it. Somewhat light for mountain carry and elk is the intended quarry.

I guess what I'm asking is how would you build it starting with the action/barrel (when I order it) I've got.

Alan

Last edited:
280 AI, or 7RM with 280 AI being the best option, in my opinion, since you want a lighter rifle. Gets 2850-2950fps with a berger 168gr vld and still get tons of reloads per case. Has less recoil and is a little more efficient cartridge, and finally Nosler makes 280 AI brass.

I'd do a 300 Win mag and 215 Bergers, modest contour barrel on your trued up Rem with a Jewel trigger and drop it all into a Precision Stock Works stock and top it of with a Nightforce. It's kinda standard issue but it's a rock solid set up!!

I'd use your 700 action and have it trued. Rebarrel it with a 28" #3 Krieger barrel (I'd go fluted if you are going for a mountain carry LR rig) chambered in 7mm STW. I'd definitely choose the 5.5-22x56 NF NXS. EGW HD 20 MOA base, TPS TSR medium aluminum rings. I'd shoot the Berger 180 VLD's.

As for stocks...B&C 2963 stock. It would make a sweet mountain rifle.

That's just what I'd do...

280 AI, or 7RM with 280 AI being the best option, in my opinion, since you want a lighter rifle. Gets 2850-2950fps with a berger 168gr vld and still get tons of reloads per case. Has less recoil and is a little more efficient cartridge, and finally Nosler makes 280 AI brass.

Stanley,

You make some good points. The action I want to use is in 30-06AI and is super light (7.5 lbs with 4.5-14 Mk4) with no brake. I used it to shoot my first 1000 yd group. I'd prefer to not have to deal with that kind of recoil although I don't have a problem doing so. Thus my desire for 1) a brake and 2) potentially a caliber with a bit less recoil. The 280AI would surely help if I kept the bullet below my standard 180 and the rifle weighed a bit more. I'm still undecided but hedging towards a bit larger case capacity than the AI case; maybe.

Thanks for the insight.

Alan

I'd do a 300 Win mag and 215 Bergers, modest contour barrel on your trued up Rem with a Jewel trigger and drop it all into a Precision Stock Works stock and top it of with a Nightforce. It's kinda standard issue but it's a rock solid set up!!

Took a look at the PSW web site and that stock is definitely a contender. So is the 300WM.

Thanks,

Alan

I'd use your 700 action and have it trued. Rebarrel it with a 28" #3 Krieger barrel (I'd go fluted if you are going for a mountain carry LR rig) chambered in 7mm STW. I'd definitely choose the 5.5-22x56 NF NXS. EGW HD 20 MOA base, TPS TSR medium aluminum rings. I'd shoot the Berger 180 VLD's.

As for stocks...B&C 2963 stock. It would make a sweet mountain rifle.

That's just what I'd do...

My light 6.5x47 started as a 26" #3 Broughton. Not sure any barrel maker would flute anything lighter than a #5? My #3 B is dang accurate keeping most load combo's around .5 to .75 moa. How's the barrel life of the 7STW? I like to shoot a lot and i'm not sure I'd like to change barrels and work up loads all over again and again. The 180 7mm VLD's have always caught my eye. Any experience with them? That B&C 2963 stock is quite interesting. Lots of good features that attract me. Quite a bit cheaper than the PSW and McMillan stocks. How do they keep the price so low?

Alan

My light 6.5x47 started as a 26" #3 Broughton. Not sure any barrel maker would flute anything lighter than a #5? My #3 B is dang accurate keeping most load combo's around .5 to .75 moa. How's the barrel life of the 7STW? I like to shoot a lot and i'm not sure I'd like to change barrels and work up loads all over again and again. The 180 7mm VLD's have always caught my eye. Any experience with them? That B&C 2963 stock is quite interesting. Lots of good features that attract me. Quite a bit cheaper than the PSW and McMillan stocks. How do they keep the price so low?

Alan
The Weatherby Accumark rifles use a fluted #3 barrel made by Criterion (which used to be in fhe same house as Krieger...Now is owned by Krieger as a sister company, from what I read), which leads me to believe that they'd flute a #3.

It's not the best on barrel life from what I've seen most average 1,000-1,200 rounds if taken care of, and I've heard of several over 1,500 rounds and still shooting around 1 MOA.

If going with any .284 (7mm) I would stick with a 1:9 twist, which will work from 140's-180's with no problem. The 180 VLD's hit HARD out of an STW loaded around 2,900-3,000 fps.

B&C makes an incredible stock for the money. I have several HS Precisions and several B&C Medalist stocks (similar to the 2963 stock in construction, just a different shape), and they are excellent stocks. I wish I knew how they did it so cheap, but they do...And they are quality.

That 2963 stock is identical to the stock on the Weatherby Accumark rifles (I have an Accumark in .257 Wby). B&C makes the stocks for Weatherby, and they are very comfortable and durable stocks. I find them comfortable, but everyone is different. I was hoping for one for my current build, but will probably have to wait till I start my next one.

There's a reason it's a standard, it works!

How's the barrel life of the 7STW? I like to shoot a lot and i'm not sure I'd like to change barrels and work up loads all over again and again.

Alan

The 7 STW is about the same overbore factor as the 300 RUM, maybe slightly more. Barrel life means different things to different people. The most common expected "accurate" shooting barrel life expectation in the 300 RUM is about 1000 rounds give or take. There are a lot of variables that will affect that. If you run hot loads and shoot long hot strings you can burn up a barrel in short order.

Bottom line... If you shoot max loads and don't get the barrel too hot, I would not EXPECT more than a 1000 rounds from an STW and have read reports of 700-800 rounds as well some in excess of 1000. Do a barrel life search on the 7 STW. YMMV

All else being equal, you will get more barrel life out of a 300 WM and the 215 or 230 Hybrids would be a good bullet for it.

Last edited:
I would focus on the magazine length. What bullet do you want to shoot and can you seat it in your case and fit the magazine. The 7 STW will not work in your magazine with VLD bullets. The 7 WSM would fit the magazine better with 168, 175 or 180 Bergers seated out to the lands. The .280 Ackley would also push the end of the magazine box.

I have the most elk experience with .308 bullets. I like the 300 Ultra Mag but I have gone to the Wyatt magazine box. I like to hunt with people using the firing pin safety rather than the trigger safety. I have seen trigger safeties fail elk hunting.

The STW can work stretched out with VLD's in a standard LA...You just have to have your smith install a Wyatts 4.00" magazine & follower setup, and machine a little bit out of the front of the bottom side of the action. Not a big deal at all. And shouldn't be very expensive to have done.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts