Need Help with McM A-5 Stock Color

smrkovsky

Well I'm trying to make a decision that is gonna affect me for many years. The color of my new McMillan A-5 stock. At first I was going to go with 80% black 20% grey, but now I'm thinking about 80/20 black/OD green with duracoated metal. The stock has been on order for about 2 months now, and I'm probably running out of time to make any changes. If any of yall have a stock, McMillan or not, in any color combination that you could post that would help me decide, I would really appreciated it.
Thanks.

Oh by the way, the new rifle is a 338 EDGE w/ a 30 " Hart barrel, & a Nightforce 5.5x 22 NP R-1 scope. gun)

Thanks again

Last edited:
Here is some info, for what it's worth.

The McMillan A5 on their website is 80% Black, 10% grey and 10% White. I ordered this color as well.

Here is the link to their A5
Custom rifles, fiberglass stocks, military and police training, tactical and competition gear, hunting accessories.

Here is a picture of mine
Rightside.jpg

AJ

I forget the color make up but it was built bt Joe Starns of Long Shot Percision in Conrad Mt. If you lie it I will get the info from Joe or maybe he will chime in here.

Jeff

DSC00366Large.jpg

Gotta have a little green in there;)

I wrestled with the decision, and was going to go with green. But finally decided on a straight black/white/grey to match all the dark metal.

I like your stock, if you find out what mixture you had them make for it, let us all know.

AJ

Gentlemen,
Thanks for your info. I think im gonna go with 80/20 black and OD green. I'll post pics as soon as I get the rifle complete, which will be probably middle of January. ****, 5 month wait list.

Peacock,
I was wondering why you used 4 rings, instead of just the normal 2. Added insurance?, strength? I've seen that before but never asked why.
Thanks

Peacock,
I was wondering why you used 4 rings, instead of just the normal 2. Added insurance?, strength? I've seen that before but never asked why.
Thanks

Kirby was seeing about 1/4MOA vertical when he first put my rifle together. It took him a while to figure out, but the rings where moving a couple thousandths forward and back on the Picattiny rail. So he added 2 more rings, so 2 are at the front of the slots and 2 are at the rear. The 338AM has a bit of a bark, and with that huge muzzle brake, the recoil is a back and forth motion that is tough on scope mounting components. I can't complain, as the recoil is really gentle and with better than 7000lbs of KE at the muzzle, a non-existant recoil is simply amazing.

I've thought about taking it apart and trying to shim it so I could get rid of 2 of the rings (and use them elsewhere), but it shoots so well I can't force myself to touch it :D

AJ

Come on guys post more pictures of your McMillian stocks. I want to see all the color combination's!

I sure like the look of the mcmillian stocks. But I got to ask what makes them so nice and populer? Are they more acurate, stiffer, tuffer .etc...

sorry if I hijacked, Gabe

I sure like the look of the mcmillian stocks. But I got to ask what makes them so nice and populer? Are they more accurate, stiffer, tuffer .etc...

sorry if I hijacked, Gabe

Yes, you get what you pay for. I've heard the same good praises for the Manners stock though, in fact any of the hi-dollar tactical stocks are good.

AJ

Check out the link in my sig here. we have about 75 of the stocks in house right now. we have a mix of lots of color combinations as well as the standard issue camo patterns. all of our's are inletted for either the short or long Rem 700 action.

take a look, you might see one you like and be able to avoid the 6 month or more wait, if nothing else you might see something that gives you a idea

have a good un
steve

I have a Manners stock and I do love it. But it would be nice to have some color in it. Mines flat black, I wished they offered it in more types of gloss colors.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.