Need help with Mauser project- chamber work

SaskShooter

Hey guys, I'm in the final stages of my custom Mauser 96 project. Today, I installed and headspaced the barrel. Test firing went well, as expected, but feeding is a bit of an issue.

I used a 25" 1-9" twist Shilen prefit short chambered barrel. Now, the end of the barrel is cut square and flat, not coned at all. Here's my problem- when I chamber a round, the bullet slides along the bottom edge of the chamber and the neck of the case always catches on the very bottom edge of the chamber.

Would it be safe to chamfer the edge of the chamber very lightly to alleviate this issue? I'm assuming it would depend on the chamber protrusion, which I can measure if necessary. Is there a better way to fix this?

I'd like to avoid messing with the feed ramp, as it's a 96 Mauser and the feed ramp is already cut into the back of the lower lug abutment.

Thanks for any help!

Hey guys, I'm in the final stages of my custom Mauser 96 project. Today, I installed and headspaced the barrel. Test firing went well, as expected, but feeding is a bit of an issue.

I used a 25" 1-9" twist Shilen prefit short chambered barrel. Now, the end of the barrel is cut square and flat, not coned at all. Here's my problem- when I chamber a round, the bullet slides along the bottom edge of the chamber and the neck of the case always catches on the very bottom edge of the chamber.

Would it be safe to chamfer the edge of the chamber very lightly to alleviate this issue? I'm assuming it would depend on the chamber protrusion, which I can measure if necessary. Is there a better way to fix this?

I'd like to avoid messing with the feed ramp, as it's a 96 Mauser and the feed ramp is already cut into the back of the lower lug abutment.

Thanks for any help!

The bottom of the chamber is always a sharp edge if not chamfered. This is common practice and help minimize shaving brass off the cases also.

But don't get carried away, do just enough to solve the problem.

I use emery paper on the edge after chambering until it is not sharp.

J E CUSTOM

when I chamber a round, the bullet slides along the bottom edge of the chamber and the neck of the case always catches on the very bottom edge of the chamber.

I think I have had that problem enough times so I should remember to always do something about it.
Eventually I am going to remember to put the chamfering tool in the breech while the barrel is still in the lathe.

Thanks, guys! I de-barrelled, put a light chamfer in and touched up with 400 grit sandpaper, then rebarrelled.

It's now slick as butter. Might be the smoothest gun I own, or at least tied with my polished and hand lapped M700.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.