Need help with Alaska rifle

cavtrooper94

Hey guys. Just got to Alaska and I'm trying to get my Alaska Rifle together. Since I havn't been able to find a 700 P in 7mm Mag for a decent price I've decided to look into other rifles. I'm looking at a Rem 700 XCR in 338 RUM. Anybody have one of these??? Anybody shoot one far. I'm looking at the XCR because most of the big stock, heavy barreled guns are just too heavy to pack up a couple mountains. I'm curious how the 338 RUM would handle a 300 gr Berger or SMK. I have also considered a 700 P in 300RUM. What are your guys opinion on the 300 RUM as well. I plan on using this for everything in Alaska, from goat to grizzly.

Thanks Much

your intended range would come into play

if was intending on hunting grizzles or in grizzly country the smallest i would use would be .338 know that being said 300rum would get it done but 338rum is a good round its overkill on goats but

i have witch to from the remmy's to savage's and have not look back both are good rifle's but out of the box savage are great

might look at 338wsm too

their are a lot of varibles that come into play more info on what you want long range backpack mainly goats, caribo, or bear we could give better advice

your in good hunting country people pay thousands of dollars to do what you can do almost every weekend

Thanks Mopar

I plan to carry it in an eberlestock pack. It would be nice to shoot 800-1,000 yrds. I'm not real worried about overkill. Dead is dead, especially when I may have to throw the rifle to my shoulder in response to a charging Grizzly. I'm just curious if the rem XCR will hold tight at 800 to 1,000.

If I hunted in Alaska, I would carry at least a .338 cal. My 1st choice in that caliber would be a .340 Wby with 250gr Nosler Partitions. A good .375 H & H or a .416 Rem Mag would be better if you were hunting bear or moose, or expected to encounter them. I have handled and weighed rifles in all three calibers. The heaviest was 9 1/2 lbs. scoped with a brake.

I've seen a lot of posts by knowledgeable hunters who advocated smaller caliber rifles such as a .30 cal, but if I was about to be stomped or eaten, I'd hate to go out thinking "****, I could have brought more rifle".

Just my opinion.

See my signature. Tom

A 300 rum will get the job done but, IMHO I'd opt for a 338. Remy's can be a roll of the dice out of the box for accuracy, I'd opt for a Savage.

Last edited:
Not sure about the XCR but the RUM family of cartridges seem to display excellent accuracy as a norm out of Rem 700's. I've owned all but the 375 RUM in a 700 and accuracy was well under moa with the other RUMs. My 338 RUM is a sporter weight and is ported, recoil is about like a 270 with no muzzle jump. 225 gr Accubonds group under an inch at 200 yards and the two deer I shot with it weren't torn up bad at all. I'd opt for a stouter bullet for grizzly/brown bear, anything less than that it would work like a charm.

I have a 338 rum XCR rifle. It shoots 4"-5" groups at 750 yards with 225 grain accubonds at 3264 fps. Shot a big bull elk with it last year at 740 yards. I think it is an excellent choice for Alaska hunting. About ten years ago I was stalked by a polar bear for about 3 miles. I had a 300 wby in my hand because it was very light to carry while hiking compared to my big 338's. I felt very undergunned and wished I had one of my big 338's. The 338's have way more knock down power than the 30's and anything smaller is not in the ballpark. I mean true knock down power from actual results and not what you may read on a ballistics chart.

LongTime, that's a real world example of the point I was making. We're no match for any of the big critters that can out run and stomp us or eat us. The rifle is the only thing that gives us a chance. Big is good.

You're obviously O.K. How did the polar bear's day go?

Tom

Long ranger,

Thats exactly what I was looking for. How much did you have to do to your rifle to make it shoot, i.e bedding, trigger ect. Or did it shoot like that out of the box.

Thanks Much

My carry gun where I may come across a griz challenge at a gut pile is a left hand Rem 700 with a tupperware stock, sporter barrel and DE brake. Weighs right at 10 lbs.

300 SMKS at 2740 or so and bug hole accurate. Due to scope limitations, 5 mils, with a 300 yd zero I'm good for almost 900 yds. I don't click this scope.

Oh, and its a single shot.:rolleyes:

338 Win mag or 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM..........is the two I would suggest............ammo is much easier to get and cheaper.

I use the 338 win for most of my hunting with 225 Accubonds loaded to 2900 FPS but my battery consist of

338 Win Mag and 225gr Accubonds with Reloader 19
375 Ruger and 260gr Accubonds with Reloader 15
300 WSM and 185gr Berger VLD and H4350
7mm Rem Mag and 175gr Sierra BT and Reloader 22

gun)

Last edited:
Thats a pretty good battery to have there Alaska. Where do you do your hunting? I live in the North Pole/Fairbanks area.

I agree with the 338 win mag for an all around rifle up here. Readily available ammo everywhere and it does the job nicely. It will be a little big if you plan on going for some of the predators up here.

I am sure there are plenty of guys at your unit that can show you the locations to be successful at hunting up here. Otherwise let me know and we can link up one of these weekends and I can show you on a map where you can be successful. I have been successful enough up here to give some pretty good advice on locations. I will tell you that it is cheaper to go to a grocery store than it is to hunt up here so when you go, plan on being patient so you can get a nice trophy. I sent my phone number via PM. You can text or call if you want to do a map recon.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts