Need Help With A Weatherby

memtb

A friend of mine recently purchased a like new Weatherby Mark V, 270 Weathrby Mag., Japanese Manufacture around late 70's early 80's (we think). Just yesterday tried shooting it (with handloads that came with rifle) and at 100 yrds. it was abysmal and at 200 yrds. ( barrel getting quite hot after only 2 rnds.) couldn't keep 3 shots on an 11"x17" sheet of paper.We will go thru the usual checking of scope/mounts, and look for obvious bedding issues. But, can anyone tell me if the barrel should be free floated or have a pressure-point (like a Rem.) and if there are recomended bedding screw torque settings. We'll hoping to clear the rifle of any problems, then move on to reloading! Any help is appreciated. Thanks, memtb

: Hopefully he didn't buy a "pretty" jack handle!

Last edited:
The first thing to do, is to look after that the gun gets freefloated as soon as possible. No stresspoint recommended! Further on you should provide a decent pillar - bedding. Have you done these things you'll might see the potential of your Weatherby. gun)

Firstly, I would be checking what twist rate it has, early Mark V rifles had 1:12" twists, they won't stabilise anything over 130gr.
Secondly, how clean is the barrel?
Thirdly, is the action and first 2" of barrel bedded? If not, this is what I would do ASAP. Be sure to free float that barrel too.

I have a 270 Weatherby on a Model 70 stainless action with 26" barrel, it shoots bugholes for around 80 shots before groups open, and yes, it gets hot very quickly too, 3 rounds and it needs a rest.

Cheers.
gun)

I load for and shot a 270 Mark V. Current Paso Robles manufacture and a German make. The German became a 338 Edge.

Everything they said.

Check that twist rate.

You are really going to have to shoot slow with that rifle. The barrel profile is not intended for range work. You will get the best groups when it takes 1 hour for your 3 shots.

If you are loading jacketed bullets, try Nosler 130grn Partitions. That's what it was designed for. If you are using copper the TTSX 110grn will probably be the heaviest but if it were me I'd go with TTSX 95grns.

Check that freebore and distance to lands. If it is 'normal' for a Weatherby you will have no issues with bullet seating depth. Longer seems better. Seat copper bullets so that the first friction release groove is exposed.

Once you have the twist and freebore figured out, post your load info and I give you some things to try.

Example loads I've made: Sierra SPBT over TrailBoss for slightly over 2000fps. It was fun for plinking to 400yards. 95grns TTSX over Reloader 17, almost 4000fps possible but accuracy was at 3666fps.

memtb, +1 what MagnumManiac said, if you have the black plastic stock the epoxy bedding won't stick to it. I have had great luck with the Berger 150 gr in my .270 Wby. Mark V with 1-10 twist, bedded Bell&Carlson stock and free floated. Hope you have the 1-10 barrel and improve from there. Good luck

Thanks everyone for all of the help and good suggestions. Working thru all of these should keep him busy for a few minutes!:) Thanks, memtb

may want to check to see if the barrel is shot out? Not a pleasant thought thought but may want to check.

You don't mention which stock it has. That would be on the early end for a plastic stock, and it likely has a wood stock. During that era there were many made with 24 inch #1 contour barrels, and these will heat up quickly.

Weatherby recommends leaving the pressure point in the stock, especially for #1 profile barrels. Your experience may differ. With mine I float them and also bed the action, as well as adjust the trigger as per these instructions:
Weatherby Rifles Forum - How to MOD your MK V Trigger.

I would not hesitate to swap to a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock, and bed/float the rifle in there. If you have a plastic stock don't expect much from it. If it has a pretty wood stock just set that aside to look at. :D

Give us more details when you can.

Let me give you the best advice I can give you about a Weatherby...

If it don't shoot, either rebarrel it, or sell it and buy something else.

And this is coming from a guy who doesn't believe in selling or trading guns (me).

Let me give you the best advice I can give you about a Weatherby...

If it don't shoot, either rebarrel it, or sell it and buy something else.

And this is coming from a guy who doesn't believe in selling or trading guns (me).

I think the quote is good for any make or model of rifle, even knowing you've had bad luck with your Accumark.

For the OP, I would also try a few different types of factory ammo in the rifle. Who knows how well the previous owner's hadloads were assembled, and the unofficial rule is not to shoot anyone else's handloads. I sure wouldn't base the usefulness of a rifle on one unknown load.

I think the quote is good for any make or model of rifle, even knowing you've had bad luck with your Accumark.

For the OP, I would also try a few different types of factory ammo in the rifle. Who knows how well the previous owner's hadloads were assembled, and the unofficial rule is not to shoot anyone else's handloads. I sure wouldn't base the usefulness of a rifle on one unknown load.
I know...I will admit I am slightly ***-chapped about my Accumark's barrel being as useful as a tomato spike. But I havne't had time to pull it and send it back, or contact Weatherby. The trigger is also just horrendous on it, too. It definitely was a Monday morning, or Friday afternoon gun, for sure. I love the rifle itself, but am still pretty ****ed off to discover the route of my problems could have been avoided by a simple quality control check by running a jag and wet patch down the bore. I would have figured for a factory custom hand-built rifle, that that, or hand-lapping the bore would be common practice... Which would have allowed them to discover this issue. But I guess not.

Thanks for all of the help. My buddy read thru your suggestions, and did a little work. He found that the beddind screws were not properly torqued, he re-torqued and got it to shooting really good. Good enough to get two elk this past season. So, I guess he's satisfied!! Thanks again, memtb

I don't know why, but Weatherby wood stocks don't seem to change much thru time. May be that they are buying premium seasoned walnut; I don't know.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts