Need help with a new hunting caliber ?

ddossett1976

Ok guys I currently shoot a Borden 300 wsm 175 grr Berger VLD and love it I only hunt so I am looking for another hunting caliber. The 300 wsm is about all the recoil I want so antherwords a 300 rum is out of the question for me, so I would like something equal to or less recoil than my 300 wsm so knowing this if you were going to get another caliber to hunt deer, mule deer and maybe just one elk with what caliber would you recommend to me ?
Thanks,
Danny

For your situation, I'd have to recommend going with a .280 Sherman, with a 26" Proof Research carbon fiber barrel (lightweight, but strong & accurate) with a 1:8 twist, and shooting the Berger 175 Elite Hunters. Low recoil, and 7mmRM velocities.

Or, if you're wanting to stick with a non-wildcat cartridge, the exact same rifle above, but chambered in 7mm RemMag.

The .28 Nosler is a great round, but it will probably be more recoil than you're wanting to fool with when you factor in the 180-195 grain bullets. I'm not a recoil-sensitive person, but just trying to give you the facts.

Dont discount the 6.5 family either. your wsm will handle the occasional elk on your list, the 6.5 creed, saum, prc etc are all good hunting rounds with less felt recoil and dare I say I think they're just fun to shoot and more than enough for any deer on 4 hooves. I've never been a small cartridge guy but I built a creed not long ago that has become my hands down favorite rifle to shoot. A good brake will tame any rifle but for a low recoil unbraked light hunter the 6.5s might be something to consider too. Good luck.

Whatever you do, don't buy a 6.5 PRC... Too new, and won't be around very long. It was over before it even really began.

Not knocking on someone else's choice, just trying to help you out from later headaches with trying to find brass that doesn't suck.

Whatever you do, don't buy a 6.5 PRC... Too new, and won't be around very long. It was over before it even really began.

Not knocking on someone else's choice, just trying to help you out from later headaches with trying to find brass that doesn't suck.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! LOL!!!!! This is the same think you were preaching for years on every thread about the 6.5 Creedmoor. Wait and see what it does. Who knows maybe even REMINGTON will decide to chamber it someday. God forbid. So funny.

Smokepoles or MR what about the 6.5-300 Weatherby ? Your thoughts ?
If you like a 500-600 round accurate barrel life, go for it. But IMO, you won't gain anything over a .264 WinMag for a 6.5mm bore. There's something called "the point of diminishing returns", and basically it's at what point do the increases cause a negative effect. With cartridges like the .26 Nosler and 6.5x300 Wby that point is very low. It doesn't take long before the negatives start to outweigh the positives.

But some folks will tell you "barrels are meant to be replaced" or "barrels are expendable items". This is true, but personally, I like to get more than 1,000 rounds of barrel life before I send it to the scrap pile. Money don't grow on trees...Maybe for some folks it does, but not in my neck of the woods.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts