Need help with a new hunting caliber ?

Yeah, but it's Hornady brass for the PRC...And ONLY Hornady brass. ADG makes the Sherman brass, and for the 6.5 Sherman, any .270 Win brass will work. Nosler also makes .264 WM brass.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...loading-brass-264-winchester-magnum-box-of-50

And Lapua makes .260 Rem brass and 6.5 CM brass.
The best route I've found for .260 brass is just to buy the Prime factory ammo, shoot it at targets and varmints and save it for reloading. Great ammo and very good brass dirt cheap.

Everybody screams hornady brass sucks but in my wby it's outlasting the Norma brass by several firings. Personally I'm not afraid of a cartridge with hornady brass.
For what ur describing I would consider a 6.5 for deer and what not. There's tons of good cartridges to choose from. Choose a bullet and speed you want to shoot it at then select the cartridge that will work for your desires

Many many good options list here. I feel like you already have a great if not ideal elk round.

I would gear my search for anything up to elk. IMO that means at the bottom end a 140 6.5 with a MV of 3k or very close. I know people have shot them with.243's and 25-06's long enough to fill a creek bottom but that's an extreme IMO.

I didn't catch any word of reloading or not. That plays a huge role in your choice.

If you don't reload, it's hard to beat the 7rm as a do all. If you want lighter in the recoil department you could go with a 7mm-08 (AI if you load), 280 Rem (AI / Sherman is on another level), 6.5x284 (limited ammo), 260 Rem (excellent AI round) or the 65 Creed at the bottom end.

Most of these are not the most commonly found on store shelves except for the creed (for now). If it's box ammo that's readily available then think about a 270 or 308.

You also didn't say if you were building or buying factory, that will play another huge role in choices.

How about a 25-284.....
With the new Hammer Bullets i would bet that would kick some serious deer butt.....
Talk about lite on recoil....could be made into an extremely liteweight rifle....without a muzzlebrake.....
Hmmmm...wonder if i just talked myself into a new rifle.....

How about a 25-284.....
With the new Hammer Bullets i would bet that would kick some serious deer butt.....
Talk about lite on recoil....could be made into an extremely liteweight rifle....without a muzzlebrake.....
Hmmmm...wonder if i just talked myself into a new rifle.....
Our 7" twist 257wby with the 128g Hammer Hunter is a legit 700y hunting rifle. Easy recoil without muzzle brake in a 10lb rifle.

25-284 would be a nice cartridge. Simple neck down and go. 25-06 would be is the same ball park with no wildcating. 7" twist turns the 25's into a different animal.

Steve

Everybody screams hornady brass sucks but in my wby it's outlasting the Norma brass by several firings. Personally I'm not afraid of a cartridge with hornady brass.
For what ur describing I would consider a 6.5 for deer and what not. There's tons of good cartridges to choose from. Choose a bullet and speed you want to shoot it at then select the cartridge that will work for your desires
I've shot boatloads of Hornady brass without any real issues. I toss a few more maybe, maybe get a few loads less than with "premium brass" but I'm not paying 2.00 or more per round for it either.

Some is better, some is worse, we all have our preferences but seriously, the tribalism we get into over "mine's better than yours" is pretty childish.

Many many good options list here. I feel like you already have a great if not ideal elk round.

I would gear my search for anything up to elk. IMO that means at the bottom end a 140 6.5 with a MV of 3k or very close. I know people have shot them with.243's and 25-06's long enough to fill a creek bottom but that's an extreme IMO.

I didn't catch any word of reloading or not. That plays a huge role in your choice.

If you don't reload, it's hard to beat the 7rm as a do all. If you want lighter in the recoil department you could go with a 7mm-08 (AI if you load), 280 Rem (AI / Sherman is on another level), 6.5x284 (limited ammo), 260 Rem (excellent AI round) or the 65 Creed at the bottom end.

Most of these are not the most commonly found on store shelves except for the creed (for now). If it's box ammo that's readily available then think about a 270 or 308.

You also didn't say if you were building or buying factory, that will play another huge role in choices.
I would much prefer something like the 260 over the 7mm-08. Far better ballistics. I've always seen the 7mm-08 as being an anemic fad caliber for people who were afraid of the recoil of the 7mmRM which in reality isn't bad at all especially with the 140-170gr class of bullets.

The 7mm RM is probably second only to the .300wm as the do it all SUV of rifle calibers.

Ok guys I currently shoot a Borden 300 wsm 175 grr Berger VLD and love it I only hunt so I am looking for another hunting caliber. The 300 wsm is about all the recoil I want so antherwords a 300 rum is out of the question for me, so I would like something equal to or less recoil than my 300 wsm so knowing this if you were going to get another caliber to hunt deer, mule deer and maybe just one elk with what caliber would you recommend to me ?
Thanks,
Danny

The .300 Win Mag is my go to chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards. Load it with 215s and you're golden. I also have a .300 WSM loaded with 215s. Did I need the .300 WSM, no but I couldn't resist the price and I am extremely happy with its performance thus far. I am not sure if yours has muzzle brake but it makes a huge difference in felt recoil and muzzle rise reduction.

If I were you I would go with 6.5 caliber in 6.5 Creedmoor or its bigger brother 6.5 PRC chamberings and go with the trend and watch the naysayers heads explode. :cool:

I won an entry level rifle in 6.5 CM from a raffle for $20 and here's a 3-shot group at 200 yards with factory ammo ... just imagine if you handload and get a better than entry level rifle. :D

6C3w9ad.jpg

19QUhZ4.jpg

Good luck on your next rifle purchase/build. Sometimes it does not make it any easier asking "us" because of varying experiences, wants, needs, applications, and biases as you can see.

Cheers!

I've shot boatloads of Hornady brass without any real issues. I toss a few more maybe, maybe get a few loads less than with "premium brass" but I'm not paying 2.00 or more per round for it either.

Some is better, some is worse, we all have our preferences but seriously, the tribalism we get into over "mine's better than yours" is pretty childish.
Agreed! I never try to say "mine's better than your's"...Although sometimes I do poke the fire a little bit with a few of the "other cartridge guys" on here. :D

Every cartridge has its place. I just try to be helpful to the good folks on this forum, and I just don't want someone to get one, then 2 years down the road, can't find brass or ammo, and they're disappointed in their purchase. I just see the trends and patterns of things. The 6.5 CM trend is still in full-swing, so they're trying to hedge on that success by coming out with the 6.5 PRC... However, they're doing what they do best... Create a solution for a non-existent problem. Which can be a huge gamble. And they cast their dice and won on the 6.5 CM... But I don't see them being as lucky the 2nd time around. I see the PRC dying off very quickly, and then they'll be back at SHOT 2020 with something else "new and revolutionary" that's also already been done before. It's just a vicious cycle.

I would much prefer something like the 260 over the 7mm-08. Far better ballistics. I've always seen the 7mm-08 as being an anemic fad caliber for people who were afraid of the recoil of the 7mmRM which in reality isn't bad at all especially with the 140-170gr class of bullets.

The 7mm RM is probably second only to the .300wm as the do it all SUV of rifle calibers.
I started shooting the 7mm-08 when I was too young to hunt with a 7mmRM. When I turned 16, I bought a 7mmRM, but never had a deer get away from that 7mm-08. So, I will always have respect for the 7mm-08. I would love to build a purpose-built 7mm-08 AI to push the 195 Elite Hunters, like I do with my .308 Win and the 210's and 215's.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.