Need help with a build?

Dust270WSM

I am planning on building a new deer rifle and was wondering what you guys recommend me to get?

1st option... Savage action with a Pacnor barrel and Stockade stock.

2nd option... Remington action with a Pacnor barrel and B&C stock.

I am planning on getting it in either 270WSM, 280 Ackley Improved or 7mm Mag. I want a flat shooter from 100 to 600 yards. I plan on shooting 140 grain Bergers.

Question I have is "What barrel do ya'll reccomend?"
"What stock do ya'll reccomend?"
"Which action u perfer?"

Savage rifles are pretty good and they make a 26" fluted bull barrel in 270 WSM....sounds like a good base rifle to me.

gun)

This is kinda biased but 270 WSM built on a Savage short action, Pac-Nor med Palma 28in long, drop that into a B&C medalist with CDI bottom metal.
I'm running a 26in barrel and run the 140 Bergers 3300fps easy Accubonds run 3341 with a couple more inches that will get you a little more. I'm getting a Mcgowen 1-9 twist barrel in the same contour to run the 169.5 Wildcats around 2950+fps.
I'm real biased, every year I see some horrible terminal performance out of the 7mm stuff and while the 7mmwsm is tempting by the numbers I can't bring myself to it.
Just my opinianated opinion.:D

I am planning on building a new deer rifle and was wondering what you guys recommend me to get?

1st option... Savage action with a Pacnor barrel and Stockade stock.

2nd option... Remington action with a Pacnor barrel and B&C stock.

I am planning on getting it in either 270WSM, 280 Ackley Improved or 7mm Mag. I want a flat shooter from 100 to 600 yards. I plan on shooting 140 grain Bergers.

Question I have is "What barrel do ya'll reccomend?"
"What stock do ya'll reccomend?"
"Which action u perfer?"

270WSM, 280 Ackley Improved or 7mm Mag are good choices.

PM sent.

joseph

If you are the same one over on Savage Shooter web sight, I just gave you a nice long reply.

1st ?...What action do ya'll reccommend to get?
Savage offers actions with the detachable magazine or the hinged drop plate. For being a deer rifle, 1.5lb. trigger pull is light enough for carrying in the woods. This would allow you to follow up shots, and easy of releasing your ammo after your hunt. I really like mine especially for just being able to drop the magazine out.

2nd... What barrel, Pacnor, Shilen, Shaw, ect.....
I am going Lilja 3 groove for better where and lower pressures in my 300WSM. I know they make a 1:9 twist in the 3 groove if you think that might be an option. You definitely want to have a 1:9 for throwing the 160 class and bigger bullet.

3rd.. What stock, Stockade, B&C, ect..ect...
The Medalist by B&C seems to be a big winner for Savage. A lot of guys are buying them and are really happy with what they have. I would think this would be a good option. Another thing to consider is weight. Without knowing if you are going to be walking around or sitting still that should be the ultimate decider on your stock selection.

As far as caliber is concerned the 7mm/.284 caliber has some really nice high BC bullets for getting to 600 yards. You wouldn't have to shoot blistering speeds and still get your end result. The 280AI and the 7RM are not that ballistacally different. The 7RM might gain you over the 280 by only 50 to 75 fps. It would come down to, belted cartridge or unbelted. You will be a winner in either caliber.

With that said, the 270WSM in my opinion is defying all odds when it comes to Ballistic Coefficient. I have read numerous counts of guys knocking elk and deer down at 700+ yards. If you can get a bullet shooting fast enough, you can negate BC to a certain point. The problem with the .277 caliber is that it is seriously under rated. They do not offer bullets in decent BC's. Berger is producing a 150 grain bullet with a BC of .531. That is about the best you are going to do without going to a wildcat bullet. This BC would be plenty for your 600yrd limit though. Actually you could definitely stretch it out to about 800yards if you really wanted too.

Caliber is a matter of preference. 270WSM is unique and making a name for itself.

The 280 AI isn't so unique anymore because production brass is being made and a lot of people are buying them. They are however a very accurate efficient cartridge which makes it very appealing.

The 7mmRem Mag. is the old faithful. My brother has never had a dear walk away from him after being shot with it. This cartridge is going to be able to get you to 1000yards if you wanted to set up with a 175grn or 180grn bullet with little difficulty. The new powders that are being produced have really made this caliber a hot rod again.

With this being said, none of these calibers can make you a marksman. It is important to remember that shot placement and practice at the distance you want to hunt at is essential. I have been shooting faithfully for 2 years and hunting for 20, but I still need to practice to hit those long shots.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.