Need help with 2285 yard shot.

Topshot

I have been pegging out a spot for a bit of long range target practice not far from my home. This morning I placed pegs at both ends and one roughly in the middle. I then used my Swarvo rangefinder to measure between the pegs and used a GPS as a check. The total distance came in at 2285 yards. Fairly flat between the end pegs, with three creeks and two small ridges in between.

The rifle is a .338 Edge and I have two loads available with the 300 gn SMK. My fireforming load of 2790 fps and a full load of 2860 fps. The rifle has a 20 MOA rail. Scope is a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 NXS R1 reticle.
Now I have 61 MOA of adjustment available to me with the scope, plus 20 MOA with the reticle.
I still expect to hold over by quite an amount for this shot, and am considering setting up an aiming mark further up the backstop hill as an aid.

If I need too, I can shorten the distance by about 60 yards before the target gets obscured by scrub.

I plan to try this shot just after daylight as the wind is usually dead still here at that time of the day.
Altitude is 600 feet,
Temperature will be about 50 to 55 Degrees F.
Target will be 34" x 46" ply white board with 12" black aiming mark.

Is this a possibe shot?
What do I need to take into account? Coriolis, spin drift? All advice and assistance welcome.

I don't believe you have enough elevation. So you will need to hold over for sure. I have shot to 2100 yds with a 338 Lapua and a 300 SMK @ 2850.
I needed somewhere in the 80's of moa up. So you will need a 40 moa base.

Sounds like fun though gun)gun)

What brand base do you have now? Just currious why you only have 61 moa. Should be closer to 70.

You are gonna have to take allot of different things into account at that range. I for one have not shot that far. The farthest hit I have is at 1070. Try it out with what you know and see what happens, you may surprise yourself. At that range luck will play a big role In your quest to shoot that far. Good luck and happy shooting.

I don't believe you have enough elevation. So you will need to hold over for sure. I have shot to 2100 yds with a 338 Lapua and a 300 SMK @ 2850.
I needed somewhere in the 80's of moa up. So you will need a 40 moa base.

Sounds like fun though gun)gun)

What brand base do you have now? Just currious why you only have 61 moa. Should be closer to 70.
The rail is a steel Nightforce 20 MOA rail. I would have also thought that I would get about 70 MOA of adjustment but the scope turret comes to a stop at 61 MOA.

I gotcha at 114.9 MOA with the hotter load and starting at 100yrd zero at 600ft elevation. Spin drift came in at 2.5 MOA and Coriolis .8 MOA depending on direction.
This is going to be fun :D

Last edited:
With a GS SP 295 you could make that shot by dialing up 60 MOA and holding over 18.8 MOA. With the 300 SMK I dont see how you can make it unless you put a 40 MOA base on and then it still might not work, not to mention it (300 SMK) will go sub sonic about 1780 yards downrange.

Be happy with an 1800 yd shot first :D LOL

You are gonna have to take allot of different things into account at that range. Try it out with what you know and see what happens, you may surprise yourself. . Good luck and happy shooting.

+1 to the above comment.
i guess at that range you dont even need a spotter you can shoot, get up walk over to your spotting scope and wait for it to hit:D good luck

The last shot like that I heard of the shooter had a McMillan .50 BMG and basically used Kentucky windage. It took him three shots and alot of luck. I hope you get it down.

Are you still supersonic? Several people have reported that the 300SMK does not transition well, but there have been differences of opinion on that issue.

Do you have a spotter?
Spin drift is an estimate.
Is the ground conducive to finding an impact crater?
Do you have some wind flags at a few places?

Are you using G7 or G1 to make your estimates. AJ Peacock once listed the G1s he used when shooting that far with teh 300SMK. I know for me I have to reduce G1 about 10% over the velocity spread out to 2K.

Temps usually drop 2 degrees around first light causing a down draft that is hard to pick up. Over the water could also cause turbulent shifts because the water is more temp stable. You should flag there to check for that
Good luck with that and please report it

Make sure you video this. Sounds like fun and if you make a cold bore hit you will want to record it....

Keep us posted..

Jeff gun)gun)

They make Burris Signature Z rings in 30mm. If I were you. I would look into a set and get a +20 rear insert and a -20 front insert. That will give you 40 more minutes of angle for this shot. That should keep you in your scope and on the target.

Tank

Ya know guys, I hate to be the negative dude like in Kelly's Heros, but as i sit here in front of my monitor with NF NSX 5.5-22x50 NP-R2, mounted on a 20 MOA rail, trying to figure out how to compensate for 114 come up MOA, I just cant figure it out. I have about 65 MOA clicks available and another 20 of reticle with about 10 more MOA (maybe) of space below the reticle. That gets me to 95 MOA beofre the target leaves the field of view, which is still 19 MOA short. (23 MOA short for Topshot)

Topshot, I hope you prove me wrong.... no pressure mate :D

I think your going to need an aiming point higher than the target to get it done, I would get an idea with the scope to see about where your going to need to place the upper aiming point and give yourself some MOA to play with after a sighter. We do this with the BPCR rifles cause often times you can't get a good site picture on the target so you site in using another target. You will have enough time to look through a spotting scope mounted near you to spot your hit.
Or shim you base. I use shim stock and shim the rear of my base to the desired height, then use JB weld between all the layer and under the front of the base, lube up the base and action so nothing is permanent then torque to 12 in lbs when dry I torque all the way then shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.