Need help to design LRH Gear Shop range book

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
In another thread bigngreen said:

I would like to see a range book specifically for the LRH, the sniper ones aren't quite right and the BR ones aren't right.

bigngreen, can you be more specific? I met with a company at SHOT last week that can make us a custom range book for long range hunters. In fact they approached me on the floor saying they want to do so and could I give them some input into features to be included.

And others, please chime in, too.

My intent is to sift through the ideas of members for this project and then come out with my boiled down version picking some of your best ideas. I'll offer the book for sale in the LRH Gear Shop.

My thought was that LRH really is a blend of the BR, Tactical sports and Sniper craft, each keep careful records of each load and target hits. I have had a hard time finding a book that blends all those plus charts where you can track kills and hits on animals, after all that is what all this work is for. With the possibility of adding terminal performance and reaction to the hit also.
I found something real close last week and was going to send it to you but you beat me :rolleyes:.

Impact Data Books - Custom Data Books!

A few early thoughts being as I have two of these and neither is quite right

Should be made of water proof paper
Should have about 10-20 sniper range card sheets
Should have conversion tables for common things such as meters to yards, IPHY to MOA, Cosine Table -Modified rifleman formula.
Should have a set of diagrams of common game animals chest dimensions

Should have about 10 clear envelope pages for drop charts etc to be put into.

Should have a set of pages to record field drop data and weather conditions for that data,

I might think about this some more.

Should have a set of diagrams of common game animals chest dimensions
This would be awesome. I would add to compile the data from actual animals taken not what the internet says. Have buck and doe, bull and cow sizes.
Also maybe a good diagram of bone structure and organ placement.

I have one of these

9200-KIT (Binder, Pen, Cover)

R9200-KIT.jpg

It has a lot of the right stuff in it but also has a lot of F-class stuff in it.

I also have one of these. It tells you how to call in artillery fire on elk once you get the herd spotted. It also tells you how to lay out an NDP incase the elk counterattack. I got it because it has a really lot of lined/grided pages for data or making range cards

Tactical Field Ring Binder

I have the 9200 kit also. I would like to see a shot log along the lines recomended by Shawn Carlock. The other ideas put forth by bigngreen and buffalobob would be great too.:D

Russ
Do you have a reference to what Shawn recommends? is there a thread or article on it?

The Improved Rifleman's method of angel shooting is covered in Ward's article and it should be summarized with the appropriate diagrams

Angle Shooting

If you have a copy of his DVD (Long Range Hunting ) he describes it there.
From the DVD
Shot log
Gun
Serial number
Standard load
Scope
Date
Barometric Pressure
Temperature
Humidity
Elavation
Shooting position, bench, prone, etc
Distance, estimated or lasered
Uphill, downhill, estimated or ACI
Target type and size
# of shots fired

I really like the diagrams Buffalobob put up! One thing I have noticed on the binders is that most don't have a way to secure the pages your on. I have seen a couple that have a elastic strip that holds the corners down in the wind, I think that would be a major plus.

Here is my thinking up to this point.

The standard field logs have about 75 pages plus cover pages. So I assume that is a good design parameter.

Cover w/ LRH LOGO 9200 style
Water proof paper
1 page – owners name and ID
2 Basic Rifle information page – 5 pages assuming multiple rifles per page
Include Model, serial #, caliber barrel length , twist. Base MOA, Scope Reticle, Scope height and 5 lines of bullet loads -bullet make, weight and type, BC – G1, BC-G7, muzzle velocity
3. Drop Data sheets (cold bore deviation) page– 10 pages
4. Round count sheets 10 pages
6- Range cards -10 pages
7 plain lined/gridded 25 pages
8. vinyl pocket -5 pages- new
9. 1 Honey hole page - animal, number, date, gps can be blank page- new
10. Elk anatomy page- new
11. Game animal Body dimension page- new
12. Conversion table pages
13. Angle shooting improved rifleman page Cosine page- new
14 Existing sniper Wind page

Anywhere it says "new" then the company would need to design a new page otherwise the existing pages from other manuals can be used.

Last edited:
Idea's mentioned so far:

-Something to track kills and hits on animals - bigngreen

-Mounted in a zippered binder - bigngreen

-Should be made of water proof paper - Buffalobob

-Should have about 10-20 sniper range card sheets - Buffalobob

-Should have conversion tables for common things such as meters to yards, IPHY to MOA, Cosine Table -Modified rifleman formula - Buffalobob

-Should have a set of diagrams of common game animals chest dimensions - Buffalobob

-Should have about 10 clear envelope pages for drop charts etc to be put into - Buffalobob

-Should have a set of pages to record field drop data and weather conditions for that data - Buffalobob

-A good diagram of bone structure and organ placement - bigngreen

-A shot log along the lines recomended by Shawn Carlock - Russ Hatch
---Shot log
---Gun
---Serial number
---Standard load
---Scope
---Date
---Barometric Pressure
---Temperature
---Humidity
---Elavation
---Shooting position, bench, prone, etc
---Distance, estimated or lasered
---Uphill, downhill, estimated or ACI
---Target type and size
---# of shots fired

-A way to secure the pages you're on, an elastic strip that holds the corners down in the wind - bigngreen

-Post #12 by Buffalobob
------------------------------------------------------

-On the diagrams of the animals, is it safe to say that members of the deer family (Antelope, Deer - Whitetail & Mule, Elk, and Moose) are anatomically similar enough as far as vitals go? Meaning, a simple diagram showing broad-side, front, quartering to and away shots should all match up close enough as to add just a generic drawing rather than all of those for each animal? I suggest that simply because I'm assuming you'll want to keep this book as small/light as possible?

-Ringed binder so that pages can be added and removed easily?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.