Need help selecting daypack

KTP

I'm needing help narrowing down the field of available day packs for an elk hunt. If this has been discussed recently I apologize for the duplication. I've drawn my first elk tag and want to make a good choice. On this hunt we will have access to pack frames if needed (hopefully !). I'm not opposed to buying a pack that is dual purpose. I've been looking at the Badlands Diablo or Superday. Im not locked into Badlands. I would like a pack that allows my rangefinder to be handy and the ability to pack my rifle and shooting sticks comfortably.
I can't begin to touch the level of experience I read about on this forum and value your input.

I use a kuiu ultra bag on a icon pro suspension. This is more $ than the two options you listed but is much more versatile in packing meat and bag sizes for future hunts. On long hunts I pack in with a 6000 bag and then swap to the 1800 bag as a day pack. If I harvest an animal I use the meat shelf to pack out quarters, it's like have 3 different packs on the same hunt. Modular frame packs in general with allow you to use several different bag sizes and other accessories (such as a meat shelf for packing out quarters) on the same frame and suspension. I have found that this saves a ton of $ in the long run vs. buying several packs. There are several good brands available that have modular packs such as kuiu, stone glacier, Exo Mountain Gear, etc. Just some more options if you have the budget (the kuiu ultra is a great deal for a modular pack IMO).

My original day pack was a badlands Superday but after a few years I decided I wanted something slightly larger. The Superday is a great pack and after several years still looks new. I looked at the original Diablo but didn't like it so I bought a Tenzing TZ 2220 which is a great pack. Badlands then brought out the newer Diablo Dos which i bought for my wife and if I had my time again I too would be using a Diablo Dos. The Badlands 2200 also gets rave reviews as another option.
Good luck with what ever you choose.

The problem with a daypack is that when you shoot an animal, a daypack won't pack it out. I only use a daypack if I am very close to my vehicle or my camp site, where a quick jog back to camp/car is feasible. In such cases, just about any daypack will work fine, because you're not carrying much weight in it. Some water, optics, rain gear, food and a puffy. My rangefinder goes on my bino harness.
I've had good luck with this Peregrine summit pack. Weight is less than 4 ounces, so I don't mind packing it in to a spike camp deep in the backcountry.
http://www.peregrineequipment.com/shop-sacks-bags-packs/ultralight-dry-summit-pack

More often, I am carrying an actual pack, which is compressed down to daypack size. This allows me to actually carry out significant amounts of meat after the animal is killed. The Seek Outside Brooks or Saker packs are outstanding in this regard. They easily convert from an 1800 cubic inch daypack to a 7400 cubic inch load hauler. Weight of these packs (less than 4 pounds) is less than many hunting "daypacks."

https://seekoutside.com/saker-7400/

https://seekoutside.com/brooks-7400/

Great advice from all. I made it by Cabelas and looked over several packs. I've selected the Badlands Superday. We will have access to pack frames also if needed. The Superday will be more adaptable for me when I hunt elk, if I chase speedgoats, eastern whitetails, or just head out hiking.
Hopefully I'll have a report after the elk hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.