Need help reloading

For the 6mm SMRP I'm using some CCI SRP but they are probably over 15 years old. for the 6.5mm I also use CCI LRP that are also fairly old trying to use all the old stock before using stuff I have acquired in the last two years. I have also used federal match grade magnum primers in the 6.5 when I was using imr 4350. I'm assuming the old primers might have something to do with it in the 6mm Creedmoor but I'm not going to just throw them away with how hard it is to find components now a days.
Don't get rid of anything yet but try some of the new primers and see if it makes a difference

Yeah I think I might be getting obsessed over numbers on my chronograph and haven't even really tried to shoot groups. I Loaded up 20 or so a couple days ago with 45 grs 45.2 and 44.8 and am gonna go and try to just shoot some groups and see what happens. my process for load development so far has been look through hornady and usually the speer apps on my phone and finding max charge rates and for the components I have and usually go half a grain over max and then do a velocity test looking for nodes with usually 2 rounds at each charge weight. So to try and paint a pictures say my max charge weight was 45 in a reloading manual I would start with 45.5 and work my way down in .3 or .4 grain increments for ten or so shots and try to do 2 shots per charge weight for consistency.
Always start low and work up I'm not saying at the bottom but never start above max

Yeah I think I might be getting obsessed over numbers on my chronograph and haven't even really tried to shoot groups. I Loaded up 20 or so a couple days ago with 45 grs 45.2 and 44.8 and am gonna go and try to just shoot some groups and see what happens. my process for load development so far has been look through hornady and usually the speer apps on my phone and finding max charge rates and for the components I have and usually go half a grain over max and then do a velocity test looking for nodes with usually 2 rounds at each charge weight. So to try and paint a pictures say my max charge weight was 45 in a reloading manual I would start with 45.5 and work my way down in .3 or .4 grain increments for ten or so shots and try to do 2 shots per charge weight for consistency.
This is backwards. Start low, and work up to pressure. I will take accuracy over velocity any day. my .02

Try loading you up 5 rounds in half inch increments. I would start in the middle of the charging chart and work my way to max load. Find the one that shoots the best group then start messing with seating depth. Start 5 thou of lands and move that bullet 20 thou at a time. Take to best group and then start working on your SD/ES. If you don't find something that will pretty quick toss those bullets in a drawer and get something else.

How many shots in a group for the ES/SD stats? I'm not sure that those are the stats to focus on at this point because you said group sizes are blown up over 1MOA. You might be better off to stop working on numbers and fix the bad group problem by running an OCW test to shrink group sizes down first, then worry what the paper numbers show. Start at 0.020" off with the bottom book load, run a 0.2gn ladder, and look at where the vertical stays tight.

I'm absolutely, 100% unrepentantly a numbers nerd and will go on for hours about nuanced BS to manage your muzzle velocity stats, but if you're over 1MOA on group size you have to solve the problem before statistics. I ran a full blown on work up on my 6.5CM - coarse seating depth test, velocity ladder, neck tension adjustments, yada yada yada, have a stack of paper data, and after all that ended up using a pretty low charge weight that runs 2750FPS on the nose, about a 1gn wide node, 0.020" off the lands, and it shoots under half an inch at 100. Didn't give a rip that is was a 5 shot SD of 8, ES of 13 because I didn't find that out until after I pulled down the target with a 0.4" group on it. I wasted a ton of components to get data instead of just looking at the target.
i have two 5 shot groups with with SD of 13 and ES around 30 in the 6mm creedmoor with 95 grain berger VLD hunter 45 grains of staball 6.5 and starline SRP brass with CCI SRP I took the muzzle break off and the chronograph off and loaded 20 rounds I think and couldn't get it to group I have a magneeto speed. I have read that by taking the muzzle break off i might have messed up the barrel harmonics in the node I found. So i have since put the muzzle break back on and have loaded some up with 44.8 45 and 45.2 to try and shoot some grouped I'm hoping to go to the range on Friday to see what happens with the break back on. bullets are also around seated pretty deep off the lands need to look through my binder to find exact length but i think its around .160 off the lands due to the bullet length only being seated into the case about .020 when checking jam length with with hornady COAL gauge with a modified case and hornady comparator set.

Yes. Exactly. Put the chrono away, look at the paper and do what it tells you to and get the group sizes down, then worry about the stats. You mess with the stats with things like new cases, different powders and primers, seating tension, etc. But none of that matters if the groups are blown up. Get a good group first, adjust from a good starting point. You'll be chasing your tail trying to get the stats all perfect before getting the rifle to shoot first.
Yeah i think this is what i need to do. Thanks.

I'm a long time 6mm and 243 win person. Ramshot Hunter and Superformance using non magnum LR primers is the best. Mag pro is also an good option for 90 - 115 gr

Always start low and work up I'm not saying at the bottom but never start above max
I don't start at max i find my max charge. so say it is 45.8 gr I will add half a grain so 46.3 in this case and then i will load ten shots in .3 or .4 increments looking for nodes and pressure signs so in this case i would load 10 different charge weights from 43.6 43.9 44.2 44.5 44.8 45.1 45.4 45.7 46 46.3 usually doing 2 shots per charge weight for consistency. Iv noticed with using the Hornady book its pointless to use the lower ends of charges because they are undercharged when using the lower charge weights, Iv had cases come out completely black due to the case not expanding enough in the chamber to seal it off so I usually try to stay mid to higher end of charge weights looking for my max charge weight for my rifles. Does that make sense?

Recent Posts