Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Remington Sendero II

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Christensen Arms Carbon Classic

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jbaisley

I'm new to the sport and need help deciding on which route to go on a rifle. I have a 300 win mag in an old Ruger m77 MK II ss. Would I be better off to rebuild off this action ( new barrel and stock ) or get a new savage lrh or Remington sendero. I would stay with the 300 win because I already have the stuff to load for it. Any other rifle suggestions for $1500+/- thanks

Do you like the ruger? I have several and have sent two out for new barrels with great results. Having said that, I am building my third savage, choosing to use that action because it is fairly easy to DIY, also with great results. If you like your ruger, build it up. If it is just what you happen to have lying around, and you want to DIY, sell it and grab a savage or stevens and have fun at the workbench as well as the range.

You should consider the Remington 700 Long Range with a vortex 4x16x44mm. That would get you what you want for less than 1500. Or you can get the Long range and use the savings to bed the rifle and install a nice trigger. gun)

The options with a R700 are so much greater than any of the other rifles you mentioned. Tons of products out there for the 700, while no so many for the others.

I'd stay with the 300WM. With correct shot placement, you can take anything in North America with it.

For glass, I'd go with Vortex or NF, depending on your budget.

Thanks for the feedback. The Remington 700 is the direction I have been leaning. I was leaning towards the Sendero because I like the look and know a couple of friends that own them with great results. The vortex scope is probably what I would go with along with a different trigger and a break of some sort. I would probably bed it also.

I've been playing with the idea of a new barrel and stock for my Ruger M77 Mark II. I just want something that isn't the norm. With that said, I am also looking at getting a Remington 700 Long Range, I compared that and a Sendaro II in 300 RUM at the local sportsmans warehouse and I think for the money you would be better off with a long range, stiffer stock, you aren't buying something just because it has a fluted barrel and a jeweled bolt, those where just my observations. Now an older Sendaro.. that's a different story.

I've been playing with the idea of a new barrel and stock for my Ruger M77 Mark II. I just want something that isn't the norm. With that said, I am also looking at getting a Remington 700 Long Range, I compared that and a Sendaro II in 300 RUM at the local sportsmans warehouse and I think for the money you would be better off with a long range, stiffer stock, you aren't buying something just because it has a fluted barrel and a jeweled bolt, those where just my observations. Now an older Sendaro.. that's a different story.

Stiffer stock? I would say that the BC M40 on the long range is a competitor to the HS Precision on the sendero. I think they are equal with the BC edging out the HS Precision on just price (BC-$269, HS-$315). IMHO. Regardless, I think you'll be happy with either one. The Long Range wont break the bank though! I also agree on the older senderos, that's where its at!

Another vote here for the 700 Long range. In 300 win mag it has to be one of the best buys in a rifle. With the money you save over buying a Sendero...have someone thread the barrel for a muzzle brake. That will tame it down a bit and you'll have something different than everyone else.

Another vote here for the 700 Long range. In 300 win mag it has to be one of the best buys in a rifle. With the money you save over buying a Sendero...have someone thread the barrel for a muzzle brake. That will tame it down a bit and you'll have something different than everyone else.

+1 on this. You could also use the money you save on a sweet ***** ceracoat job. Check these guys out

Red Creek Tactical - Cerakote

There are many great suggestions here. The 300 win mag is a great round imo you should stick with it. If you want options I think the rem 700 is hard to beat. If you like to tinker and re-barrel to diff calibers yourself I like savage. If you want something different let a competent smith work your ruger over. I personally like savage because I feel they offer a better trigger, I don't have to lap the bolt lugs and I have one receiver/scope combo that I can swap out barrels for kicks and grins. End of the day I really think it boils down to personal preference because a well put together rifle machined properly whether from the factory or smith is going to work well. Lol I bought a savage axis on sale two years ago at wal-mart for $230. Took it home made a homemade trigger adjustment threw a descent scope on it and stuffed some 168 nosler bthp's over a mild charge of Benchmark powder and bout wet my pants at how accurate it was while I was breaking in the barrel. Lol hard to believe but that little booger would spit out 3 shot groups of 4 inches at my 750 yard gong all day long.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.