need help on the leica 1600b

bretterath

So i got my new 1600b in the mail and have been playing around with it and its confusing me when trying to follow the instruction manual. I was also reading a post about the 1600b and all the different settings they were trying. Im try to set it so all I'm using is the angle compensation in it. So when i range something it will give me the corrected distance if I'm at an angle. i know it has a degree in it but don't want to have to input it all I'm my shooter app, i want a quick compensated read out. So is all i have to do is set the ABC mode to ehr and thats it and it will give me angle comp reads out to 800 or do i have to screw with all those other settings in there. So right now i have it on US so in yards and the ballistic mode is off the ABC is set to ehr and the sld is set to 100.

I had one of these. Great rangefinder. The german instructions suck and what they don't tell you is that in order for you to get the corrected angle yardage to display is that you HAVE to set it up with one of the ballistic settings.

In other words, if you don't use the use the ballistic MOA drop settings(which most people don't because they are not accurate) you still have to choose one of them. Just pick any setting using the instructions. Once you do this you can set it up to see the corrected angle yardage.

It took me a long time to figure it out. Hope this helps.

OK, I think I know your problem. In the set up(hold red button to enter) under ball you have it turned to off. Mine would not give shoot to until I picked the ballistics closet to my caliber #3. So my set up is US-ball 3-sld 100-Abc Ehr. Press black button once you get a square twice you get range third time shoot to range. I too had a hard time with the German, and I still do.

thanks guys a ton, i head has been spinning for the last two days and all that info u wrote make total sense, appreciate your input. Happy shooting

One more question i forgot to ask is that the angle comp only goes to 800yards now if a guy ranges something at 1000 yards that angle will come into play will it just display the line of sight and then you will have to do the rest in your shooter program? Has anyone tried that yet?

So when i range something it will give me the corrected distance if I'm at an angle. i know it has a degree in it but don't want to have to input it all I'm my shooter app, i want a quick compensated read out. So is all i have to do is set the ABC mode to ehr and thats it and it will give me angle comp reads out to 800 or do i have to screw with all those other settings in there. So right now i have it on US so in yards and the ballistic mode is off the ABC is set to ehr and the sld is set to 100.

I was confused with this function when I first got my 1600b. And unfortunately this rangefinder cannot be used for this basic/quick angle-compensated distance.

You are correct that the ABC mode needs to be set to EHr. Then you also need to select a pre-set curve. In order you do this you need to calculate your trajectory based on the default atmosphere and temp listed on page 176 of the manual. It is 1013 mbar which calculates out to 29.92 in*hg. Temp is 20`C/68`F. Then find the preset that best matches your trajectory.

Then on page 37 of the manual, there is a note that basically says if the temp and/or pressure are different from the default inputs, then EHr will compensate accordingly even for horizontal shots.

The EHr function should have more description in the instruction to explain that temperature and pressure are also used along with angle to generate the "effective horizontal range". They list the 'note', but it's not very clear.

So if you want to use the 1600b you will have to settle to get the angle reading by pressing the secondary button, and then input that into your separate ballistics calculator. Unfortunately Leica tried to get too fancy and is the big downfall of the 1600b. What they need is another angle-only EHr function for guys that only want angle-only compensated distances.

inputting angle does add another step which sucks. But the 1600b is the best unit for the price. the alternative is spending another $1000 to get the G7 BR2. I don't have that kind of $$ so I have to settle taking a little more time and inputting angle into my Shooter app.

I was confused with this function when I first got my 1600b. And unfortunately this rangefinder cannot be used for this basic/quick angle-compensated distance.

You are correct that the ABC mode needs to be set to EHr. Then you also need to select a pre-set curve. In order you do this you need to calculate your trajectory based on the default atmosphere and temp listed on page 176 of the manual. It is 1013 mbar which calculates out to 29.92 in*hg. Temp is 20`C/68`F. Then find the preset that best matches your trajectory.

Then on page 37 of the manual, there is a note that basically says if the temp and/or pressure are different from the default inputs, then EHr will compensate accordingly even for horizontal shots.

The EHr function should have more description in the instruction to explain that temperature and pressure are also used along with angle to generate the "effective horizontal range". They list the 'note', but it's not very clear.

So if you want to use the 1600b you will have to settle to get the angle reading by pressing the secondary button, and then input that into your separate ballistics calculator. Unfortunately Leica tried to get too fancy and is the big downfall of the 1600b. What they need is another angle-only EHr function for guys that only want angle-only compensated distances.

inputting angle does add another step which sucks. But the 1600b is the best unit for the price. the alternative is spending another $1000 to get the G7 BR2. I don't have that kind of $$ so I have to settle taking a little more time and inputting angle into my Shooter app.

Now I'm a little confused, here is my thing, I'm shooting a 7wsm with 160 accubonds, i have my setting set are Ball is off- SLD is 100 and ABC is EHR I'm on a tall ridge and i range the elk is the first reading going to be line of sight and then the next will be shoot to range. Im not going to use any of the ballistics on the 1600b cause i will have my shooter app or my range card so with what is said above the angle read i get i can just look at my range card dial and shoot. I guess i got a little confused when u say (unfortunately this rangefinder cannot be used for this basic/quick angle-compensated distance.) I don't care about the ballistic curve at all since i have my phone but all i want is a true distance read which will have the angle calculated.

The Leica EHr function should be described as "Angle, Temperature and Pressure" correction.

People just assume the 1600b is angle-only compensation because the instructions are not clear.

If "Ball" is turned off, even when you've set ABC to EHr, you will NOT get a second EHr reading.

Just try it outside real quick with ball turned off. You will just get a single reading. This single reading is simply line-of-sight distance to the target.

Then turn Ball on to any one of the ballistic curves, and then go try it outside. First the 1600b gives you line of sight to whatever you range... just wait a few seconds and you will get a second EHr reading displayed. So EHr only works when you have turned on the Ball function to one of the preset curves. The Leica is using angle PLUS temperature and pressure differences compared to the preset curve you have selected.

I know the instructions are totally confusing. The 1600b is very different than other rangefinders that have angle compensation where they only use angle to do a simple geometry calculation to compute angle-only compensated range.

I am like you that I don't want to use one of the preset curves, but I do want an angle-only compensated distance to target. Unfortunately the 1600b does not do this.

so i put all the settings in and went outside my house and ranged the top of a power pole and got a reading of 169 and then it blinked 164 which the 164 would be my shoot to range. i didn't get any other readings in there and i thought i would because i have all the ball curves set but i dont care about that. so the 164 reading i got next all i need to do is look at my shooter app and adjust right. it don't matter if i am shooting with other people because it should be the correct shoot to range right?So that angle read would be good for everyone? i know the 164 is not far but just an example more like an example of 750 first reading and the second reading 710.

Correct it is your shoot to. A couple of other things that have helped me is learning to use the terrain to help you range at distance(trees,rifle,walking stick,prone,bi-pod). I also like to use the rapid ranging to check and double check the range.

sorry i know what i write can be confusing but what I'm trying to say that even when u put info into the 1600b for the ball curves and when u get the two readings the second reading is the same as another rangefinder that just has angle comp?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.