need help on choosing a rifle for my husband

dml2011

Hello, my name is dalanna. i'm wanting to surprise my husband on a rifle he wants. he is wanting a custom built 7mm dakota or .300wtby. we live in tennessee. i hope i get some replys. i do know he is shooting berger or something like that. i'm wanting to do this for a surprise for him.

I don't know what time constraints with the birthday, or the budget, but there is a ready to ship 7mm Dakota at the link Long Range Rifles at the top of the page. Custom with some of the better builders can have a significant lead time. Either caliber you listed is workable for most of what a shooter wants to do. Good Luck.

Both are fairly expensive cartridges to shoot and the 300 WBY would be easier to find ammo for. It would help if he hand loaded his own ammo.

My preference would be the Dakota, but the 300 WBY is a great round.

As mentioned, the owner of this site Len Backus, can provide you with a fine 7 Dakota set up for LR performance.

For the 300 WBY, A Cooper might be something to consider. they have a variety of models depending on the function or finery you are looking for.

The Jackson Hunter model 56 is more for field funtion but like all Cooper Rifles is a fine looking rifle.

Build your Own

The Western Classic model 56 is more of a collectors rifle with classic finery, but still functions quite well and comes with a higher price tag. They also have crafty upgrade options available and are a good investment.

Build your Own

Both Len's and Cooper will perform very well.

Hope that helps

My wife wanted to do the same thing for me a while back. She saw me swooning over a custom rifle on one of the hunting programs and decided she wanted to get me one for my birthday. On the advise of my buddy, instead of buying a specific rifle, in collusion they made a custom birthday card with a picture of the rifle and included a check for the amount. Looked like a gift certificate. I was totally shocked at such a gift, and glad she took this approach. The sheer nature of a custom rifle is that you can choose all the various aspects that make it your own. I just thought I would mention this as an option. Choosing a custom builder off the advise of the many responses you will get on this site is hard enough. Once you do that, there are other decisions that will have to be made. Scope, stock, barrel, etc,etc. Lots of very personal preference things. The rifle my wife got me is my prized possession that I have taken a bunch of great animals with, and I think of her every time I look at it.

My wife wanted to do the same thing for me a while back. She saw me swooning over a custom rifle on one of the hunting programs and decided she wanted to get me one for my birthday. On the advise of my buddy, instead of buying a specific rifle, in collusion they made a custom birthday card with a picture of the rifle and included a check for the amount. Looked like a gift certificate. I was totally shocked at such a gift, and glad she took this approach. The sheer nature of a custom rifle is that you can choose all the various aspects that make it your own. I just thought I would mention this as an option. Choosing a custom builder off the advise of the many responses you will get on this site is hard enough. Once you do that, there are other decisions that will have to be made. Scope, stock, barrel, etc,etc. Lots of very personal preference things. The rifle my wife got me is my prized possession that I have taken a bunch of great animals with, and I think of her every time I look at it.
Very nice! Great idea, opens more options with lead time to birthday handled. Cost effective, and going through the order process together priceless.

Very smart advice indeed , I am impressed .

If you wanted to suprise him with a custom and actually have something for him to open, you could buy him just the action he wants (make sure its the right one, thats a huge part of the build). Then have a note in the gift box that says "you figure out the rest" or something like that. It gives him the means to build his dream rifle, and he'll never guess whats in the box!

I think that you are one of the best wives in the whole world. Seriously.:D

I think that you are one of the best wives in the whole world. Seriously.:D

Me TOOOOO. But the card and check is best lightbulbsince you could get in trouble with our wonderful LAWs if you buy a gun for him it might qualify you as a felon doing a 'straw sale'. Thank the (D)s for that.
Good luck and keep us posted....we don't see this alot.:cool:

I remember doing something like this for my wife many years ago. I bought her some nice looking lingrie...........didn't go over well (wrong size, wrong color, wrong style, wrong, wrong, wrong). Now I use gift cards exclusively.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.