need help on bullet choice

dads300winmag

I have been shooting for some time now and just starting to reload but need some advice on bullet choice.I'm using a remmy 700 308 20" 1:10 twist my main object is cutting down wind deflection but im not sure how heavy i can go with out hurting the higher BC's whit lower speeds.. any input would be greatly appreciated

I have been shooting for some time now and just starting to reload but need some advice on bullet choice.I'm using a remmy 700 308 20" 1:10 twist my main object is cutting down wind deflection but im not sure how heavy i can go with out hurting the higher BC's whit lower speeds.. any input would be greatly appreciated

What are you shooting at and how far do you intend to shoot it?

Steve

Range will be 800 maybe 1k for steel and hunting deer to700

Berger 215 Hybrid seated about .015" off the lands in Lapua brass with a Fed 210M primer, and 38-39 grains of Varget. As always, work up slowly watching for pressure signs.

It won't be a repeater, you'l have to shoot it single-shot, but when it hits it will be like you're hurling a ball-peen hammer at around 2,400 fps. Also, ballistics are incredible. Bryan Litz (Berger Bullets) won a 1,000 yard match a few months back shooting a .308 Win with a 215 Hybrid.

Berger 215 Hybrid seated about .015" off the lands in Lapua brass with a Fed 210M primer, and 38-39 grains of Varget. As always, work up slowly watching for pressure signs.

It won't be a repeater, you'l have to shoot it single-shot, but when it hits it will be like you're hurling a ball-peen hammer at around 2,400 fps. Also, ballistics are incredible. Bryan Litz (Berger Bullets) won a 1,000 yard match a few months back shooting a .308 Win with a 215 Hybrid.

I agree, no matter what velocity you run the 215 Berger, it's impressive...

I try to stay out of these discussions because I don't want to start an argument. Here goes my attempt to enter the discussion with out arguing.

I am going to discuss bullet choice from the aspect of hunting only. Our Hammer Hunter bullet is a dedicated hunting bullet designed to open on impact and retain enough weight to penetrate deep. (Generally completely through.) The Hammer Hunter bullet will always have perfect meplats and hollow points. No need to uniform them or make sure that the hollow point exists. No need to enlarge the meplat to ensure that the bullet will open, as some members here do. We at Hammer Bullets do recommend hunting with our bullet.

With all that said ballistically speaking the Hammer Hunter 181g I think will give the best performance from the 308 Win to the distances that the OP is talking about. It can be launched at 2700fps compared to the 2400fps of the 215g Berger. The larger higher bc Berger bullet will not catch up in velocity until 850y down range. The 181g Hammer will give 40 more yards of point blank range on a 5" kill radius. So for all practical purposes, the Hammer will give 350 yards of hunting range without need for hold over or dial adjustment. The Berger would give 300 yards. At 500 yards the Hammer is still going 100fps faster than the Berger. At 500 yards the Berger will out perform the Hammer for wind drift in a full value 10mph by 2". Not much but a bit better.

Something that gets lost in these discussions is the effect of velocity in terminal performance. Bullets kill by causing shock or tearing of vital tissue. The faster the impact velocity the better job the bullet can do of displacing vital tissue permanently. Carrying higher velocity into the animal at distance will do a better job.

Lastly load development with the Hammer bullets is very easy. Load the bullet to the length that works for your situation. Mag length for a repeater or close to the lands for single feed. The bullets are seating depth tolerant. Work your load up to desired velocity with good powder density looking for low sd. At this point you should be done. The only time I have done more was if the chosen powder hit pressure too soon or load density became too compressed. Almost all rifles that I have worked with have had load figured out under 20 rounds. Then it is just a matter of shooting for zero and confirming drops to distance.

Don't forget that one bullet in this discussion is a dedicated hunting bullet. The other is not.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.