Need help, musket caps not snapping!!!

OrangeMan73

So here's the situation:

Gun = brand new Knight Ultralite, 50 cal
Ignition System = Western style breech, with musket cap nipple installed
Musket Caps = Schuetzen Musket Caps, 4 Wing Style

I've never shot this gun. I'm getting ready to work up a load using some Hornady Prairie Hunters and 777, but I wanted to confirm the Schuetzen caps I got would ignite. I've fired about 10 of them (with empty bore) and I'm not hearing any audible "pop" and when I look at the caps they don't seem dented enough to me. I've reseated on a few them of several times just to make sure they're not getting seated well. What does a properly fired musket cap look like when it's actually ignited? And what kind of sound does it make? I would have assumed its really loud. Is there a trick for the bolt and musket caps that I'm missing?

I appreciate the help, my hunt starts in a few days. Trying to shop around and look for other caps, whether they be musket or percussion, is somewhat problematic right now...

Quick update, I unscrewed the breech plug half a turn and it finally cracked one off. I now know what an ignited musket cap is like haha. I dug through my workbench and found a washer to shim out the musket nipple, I'll give that a try in the morning.

Putting that washer in there between the nipple and the breech plug worked. Someday if I can ever get my hands on other musket or percussion caps, I'll try another brands. If they fail to ignite as well, I'll need to look at getting either longer nipples or breech plug.

Or increasing the secondary safety all the way.....shouldnt ever have a problem with 'mis-hits'....
'Bestill'....might have some 209 primer parts for you....that is a change in bolt and nipple....
Good to have those extra parts to convert...just in case....

I noticed the back of the secondary safety knob has an allen bolt. If I unscrew that a few turns, would that allow the firing pin to travel further forward and accomplish the same thing?

The accuracy I'm getting is less than desirable and I was wondering if my makeshift "nipple shim" was contributing.

If you unscrew the secondary safety you should be able to see that it will strike the nipple 'without' any cap on it....loosening the safety screw is not a good idea.......
Your UL50 should have come with the musket and a #11 nipple....
Make sure you have the correct one in place.....
Now weather is a different story altogether.....
I use #11s.....i put a piece of suran wrap over the nipple and slide the cap on.....should give a nice tight seal....i tested mine after 3 days thru the woods in snow and trees dropping snow on me.....worked perfectly.....

I just saw your post about putting a piece of saran wrap over the nipple to keep a tight seal from the elements. Do you typically put anything over the bore? What has worked best for you? In Montana, we have a short muzzleloader season in December that requires that we use a sidelock. I picked up a Lyman Great Plains with a 1:24 twist that I am going to mess around with. Looking to take an elk with it this year...

Thanks for your input in advance!

I tried a few odds an ends on the muzzle..electrical tape..wrapping tape..even duct tape....I do not suggest duct tape...way more recoil as it really stuck n the end and strong enough to build extra pressure before being blown off the end....
I found I liked the pharmaceutical rubberized fingertip applicators....stretchy..tough..water proof..but no back pressures as duct tape...I did use electrical tape to secure it to the barrel.....
Depending upon how much muzzle you have ahead of your front sight..good seal vs really good seal....
I was sealed very well...
#11 cap over suran wrap on nipple...very snug fit...of course flame channel(open area)...into powder chamber..waxed wad..paperpatched .496" lead bullet...into barrel...with finger applicator....sealed good......
Hunted rain and snow...mostly in the trees looking for whitetail....wet....
3 days before test firing...worked perfect...
Good luck on hunt....
Flame on.....

Fingertip "Rubbers" work great on your muzzle. They will fit just about any diameter Barrel. Use them on all our hunting rifles.
On Muzzle loaders and "Cap" the Saran Wrap is a good idea. I only hunted with a "Flint Lock" and it is hard to keep the weather out of the Flash Pan. Would cover the entire Lock System with Saran Wrap when it was snowing. Very hard to keep dry in the rain.

Attachments

• Muzzle Rubber.jpg
    Muzzle Rubber.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 64
Fingertip "Rubbers" work great on your muzzle. They will fit just about any diameter Barrel. Use them on all our hunting rifles.
On Muzzle loaders and "Cap" the Saran Wrap is a good idea. I only hunted with a "Flint Lock" and it is hard to keep the weather out of the Flash Pan. Would cover the entire Lock System with Saran Wrap when it was snowing. Very hard to keep dry in the rain.
Cool, thanks for the replies @Coyote Shadow Tracker, and Tomjoad & 26Reload. Good ideas. I'll try to remember to post a picture if I'm able to hunt down a bull this year.