Need help mounting new scope to Rugger M77 mkII

I love mine! I'm not a recoil-sensative person, but my Skeleton 7mmRemMag will knock a mule in the dirt... After about 10-20 shots out of it, my shoulder will be sore the next day.

It's always good to meet another skeleton stock 77 owner. We seem to be few and far-between. I agree, the looks are awesome, and the ultra lightweight of the gun makes it nice to pack and carry around.

Hello folks, was googling around to try to fix my Ruger scope mounting problem and came across this, thread discussion. I'm not a real experienced rifle shooter but I've done a bit, this is the first time I've seen the diagram about the different scope base heights. So it looks as tho there's a .125" difference ? I have a couple rigs I bought as a set, I thought they were Ruger made but maybe not. They measure .440' hi. They both have a small "4" stamped into them. They sure as heck won't do right on my .25-06 Ruger 77 Mkii with a Leupold VX3 4.5 - 14 x 40. I sure want to put this scope on this rifle for coyotes. I have some other Ruger rings, I'm guessing I need to find a pair to match that difference ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve in SC

You got me on that one.....Forgot the Ruger action has 2 different heights built into it. No clue why the hell they ever did that, other than stupidity and trying to be different to have their own proprietary rings.

It's been about 12 years since I installed a set of rings on a Ruger 77.

That's my bad. I'm not too proud to admit when I make an error. I was thinking the action was the same height on them, like it is on the Remingtons and Weatherbys, since those were the most recent guns I've mounted scopes to.

If you hadn't been so over the top out to lunch with your first post on this, I wouldn't be asking you how your boot tastes ! My goodness man.

I bought a nikon monarch 4-16 for my ruger .280 and the eye piece at the rear of ths scope was so much bigger than my old scope that I had contact with the bolt why cycling rounds. Bought this:

Ruger M77 MKII Rifle Scope Mounts WEIG-A-TINNY® Weaver Picatinny

And replaced my ruger rings with burris signature z rings. A little pricy but it is rock solid and solved my problems.

Hm, interesting solution there. When I got this rifle it had a 50 mm scope, mounted pretty high. I don't usually care to have them so high. On a couple other rifles I have the VXL Leuplods, got to save alot of nickels and dimes for those, but I sure like them.

I looked at those and emailed him, asked him about a 20 moa angle rail, if he made one with the cant in it. He said he did not. But I'm still considering one. One of the advertisers here makes a drill and tap base for the short and long action. With the 20 moa cant. I would like to see one for the magnum Ruger action.

I love mine! I'm not a recoil-sensative person, but my Skeleton 7mmRemMag will knock a mule in the dirt... After about 10-20 shots out of it, my shoulder will be sore the next day.

It's always good to meet another skeleton stock 77 owner. We seem to be few and far-between. I agree, the looks are awesome, and the ultra lightweight of the gun makes it nice to pack and carry around.

I have the canoe paddle stock on my 458. It was a 338 before I had it rebarreled to 458 Win mag. Nice and light and brutally tough. I shortened the lop and put a Decelerator pad on it lop is now 12+7/8" . Just right.

You got me on that one.....Forgot the Ruger action has 2 different heights built into it. No clue why the hell they ever did that, other than stupidity and trying to be different to have their own proprietary rings.

It's been about 12 years since I installed a set of rings on a Ruger 77.

That's my bad. I'm not too proud to admit when I make an error. I was thinking the action was the same height on them, like it is on the Remingtons and Weatherbys, since those were the most recent guns I've mounted scopes to.
Ruger M77 Mk II in fact uses two separate height Rings that mount directly to the action in a very proprietary manner. The front receiver cut out is higher than the rear. For a 44MM bell and up you'll need high in front and X-high in the rear. The stepped action felicitates the correct and smooth alignment of two different height rings. Be sure to note on their table if you have 1", 30MM or 34MM when ordering.