Need help leveling scope where reciever holes are off

Last edited:
You don't say or show pics of how much the holes are out of alignment. Also, this is reminiscent of another thread stating a similar problem. Turns out one of the ring/base units was facing the wrong way. Correcting that solved the problem.

addition: A set of alignment rods as 243winxb shows in post #4 would provide a better test of the scope ring alignment

Last edited:
I've been building remington 700s for 30 yrs and never got one so far off it couldn't be used. The new 700s are much better now. The last 10 or so I've done have been very straight. They have mostly been within .001 to .0015 on the bolt face. I think they are all cnc now and should be good on the base holes now too.
Shep

I'd like to try to offer my thoughts in hopes it gives you something helpful to think about. It seems there are very few things truly important about scope orientation and yet may frequently overlooked.
First
When shooting in a situation where one intends to dial windage and elevation the turret travel must be kept truly plumb/level.

Second
While the first part is happening the bore must be centered under the scope.

The challenge is abiding by those two in such a way that there is sufficient turret travel for ones needs and that the gun fits the shooter naturally and comfortably. Hope this is helpful.

I have a brand new Rem 700 American Wilderness Rifle in .338 RUM to which I am mounting a VX6 via 1-piece Leupold Backcountry rings/bases. Lapped the rings and went to level the scope - discovered that the front and rear rings are not level with each other due to the mounting holes in the receiver being slightly off (see pics). There is no flat spot on the receiver so I am putting the level on the rings/bases.

1) I think they are close enough to be able to correct via internal scope adjustment - any thoughts as to whether I am correct on that?

2) If so, which should I use to level the scope - The rear? Front? In the middle (where the rear is slightly off one way while the front is off an equal amount the other way)?

Any help would be appreciated!
Nope....your internals will definitely not work..
Had a similar problem...cost me a ton of unnecessary expense...won't go into details....with that CANT...as you adjust up you will also be adjusting windage equally and the same with down...one motion will take you up ( and depending on angle of Can't) high left and down will take you down and right.....you can get a zero for one range only! But the problem extrapolates dramatically over distance. Either try new things, shimming the base or go to a gunsmith and have him true the gun

Had the same problem on a Baco Win Model 70, one hole was off to the rest.
Got the gun CHEAP due to this, anyway, I fixed it by drilling/tapping to 8-40 screws.
In your case, you can only bed the rings and see if the scope tracks reliably.
Honestly, I think the only fix is to drill/tap to the larger screws and it should be spot on after that.

Cheers.

Why is no one suggesting that this be sent back? Has Remington QC gone down that much, where this is just accepted?

I had a custom rifle built with a custom action. The holes were a few thousandths off. I switched over to a set of Burris Signature rings and the problem was solved. A full custom rig shouldn't have had that problem but it did.

For what he spent for an AWR, I would make them relick that calf if in fact it is the receiver and not the bases. The fact that it is a 338 RUM means no half as scope mounting. Should have a minimum of #8 screws anyway.

Have you checked the holes with a Picatinny Rail to make sure it is the receiver?

I would contact Remington and make arrangements to return the gun to them.
Be sure to write the serial number down on the wall, For future reference on replacement of action.

If it was a 100 yd. brush rifle you may be able to get away with the holes not in alignment over the bore.
The elevation adjustments will not work proper when dialing distance on the elevation turrent for long range shooting. It will change the windage too.

Good Luck on this problem. bj

It's already been said, but its really all that matters. Shoot it. If everything was perfect on production rifles, nobody would buy custom rifles. If there is a problem when you shoot you it, address that problem. If not, don't worry. You don't get custom rifle precision at your local sporting goods store.
It'll probably shoot what it was guaranteed to shoot, and that's what was paid for.

Until you shoot it, you dont even know if you have an actual problem, I've seen similar issues that didn't cause any actual issues on targets. It depends on what you expected, if you expect 5000 dollard custom rifle performance and accuracy from a 900 dollar rifle, you can expect to be disappointed.

Go shoot it, it'll probably shoot just fine.

Ok, I see how that could be done. I always used shims cut from soda cans or fold of aluminum foil.

Looks like the rings & base are 1 unit.View attachment 221517
I've used a set of Feeler gages from an Autoparts store. They run from .001 to .060. Very easy to shim with these. Also they are easy to cut, test, and set. Once happy use crazy glue to hold in place.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts