Need help leveling scope where reciever holes are off

Lemmer

I have a brand new Rem 700 American Wilderness Rifle in .338 RUM to which I am mounting a VX6 via 1-piece Leupold Backcountry rings/bases. Lapped the rings and went to level the scope - discovered that the front and rear rings are not level with each other due to the mounting holes in the receiver being slightly off (see pics). There is no flat spot on the receiver so I am putting the level on the rings/bases.

1) I think they are close enough to be able to correct via internal scope adjustment - any thoughts as to whether I am correct on that?

2) If so, which should I use to level the scope - The rear? Front? In the middle (where the rear is slightly off one way while the front is off an equal amount the other way)?

Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 20201025_131448.jpg
    20201025_131448.jpg
    763.7 KB · Views: 461
  • 20201025_131457.jpg
    20201025_131457.jpg
    781.5 KB · Views: 459
  • 20201025_131509.jpg
    20201025_131509.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 458
  • 20201025_131518.jpg
    20201025_131518.jpg
    798.7 KB · Views: 435
Edited post -

https://www.shootingsportsretailer.com/gear/optics/the-how-and-why-of-scope-ring-lapping
If the rings aren't aligned, you can take some corrective action depending on the type of scope rings you're using. If the rings have windage adjustments, that will allow you to correct any side to side misalignment. If it's a vertical alignment issue, you can use shims under the scope bases or rail. If you're using non-adjustable rings, you can also try swapping positions or rotating them 180 degrees on the rail. Using whatever method your rings allow, get them as aligned as possible before lapping.

I don't know? But seems alignment would be better using this? https___www.shootingsportsretailer.com_uploads_images_Lapping_190104_124326.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, they are appreciated. But I need to clarify - its not a problem with the rings, its with the mounting holes drilled into the receiver. After lapping the rings, they are perfectly aligned. But that alignment is offcenter due to the screw holes being off slightly for one of the mounts (I think the front one). I don't think bedding would change that. My question is whether the alignment is off-center too much to be able to correct for it using the internal adjustment of the scope, and if not, how I should level the scope. And I guess it would be good to know if there are other problems it could cause. Maybe I just need to mount it and shoot it, but I thought I'd check to see if anyone had any advice first. Thanks!

My question is whether the alignment is off-center too much to be able to correct for it using the internal adjustment of the scope
I would mount scope and shoot rifle.

With both scope adjustments centered, mount scope bore sight it. I put up a black bullseye at 100 yards, look thru barrel, see how far off it is. Adjust scope.

May need mounts with windage adjustment?

Newer scopes seem to have lots of adjustment available.

I just put a 6x18 variable on my Rem 600. First shot was a little over 1 foot to the right. Scope had enough adjustment to get it zeroed.

On a 2 piece set you need to use a bridge between the peices. If you have a bar the diameter you need use it. I use my lapping bar. But you can use your scope also. Out release agent on top of receiver and screws. Fill the screw holes with release agent too. Put bedding on bottom of base. Use one screw only on each base. Don't tighten all the way down. Set scope in the rings and put the tops on. Nothing needs lined up as far as cross hairs or anything. The scope comes back off anyway. Just lightly snug the tops. Now press down on top of the scope to push the bases down as far as they will go with light pressure. Let gravity hold it in place. But you need to keep the gun level till it sets up. When the bedding is set up take it apart and clean up any spots that need it. Re assembly with all the screws now and it should be torque free. This is how I do them. I don't use many 2 piece setups.
Shep

If the alignment is off even a little every time you raise elevation you will also have to adjust windage. You can mount the scope the way you have now and do a tall target test and it will tell you how much it is off center. My suggestion is to bed a rail and then use Burris Signature rings they have inserts that will allow you to align the scope perfectly with the bore. They are very good rings and I have used them for years with good results. This is not a unusual problem with production rifles.

If the alignment is off even a little every time you raise elevation you will also have to adjust windage. You can mount the scope the way you have now and do a tall target test and it will tell you how much it is off center. My suggestion is to bed a rail and then use Burris Signature rings they have inserts that will allow you to align the scope perfectly with the bore. They are very good rings and I have used them for years with good results. This is not a unusual problem with production rifles.
I was wondering about that. I think I will shoot it and see how much it is off, but then probably do as you suggest. I also wondered how common it was in production rifles. I know Remington hasn't put out the best guns lately so I wasn't sure how much that had to do with it... Thanks for the advice!

In the unlikely event Burris Signature rings and another 2 piece base don't fix the problem, drill & tap a 2nd set of holes just behind front set of holes and use the same 2 piece mounting system. Rifle might look sort of funny with all those holes in the receiver ring but the rings/mount will cover most of it. Or buy another Rem 700 receiver.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.