Need Help in setting up a Hunt

mmh

I am trying to figure out a way to go elk hunting with my son this fall. I will not have the funds to pay for a guided trip. Likewise, I know that hunting on public land will probably not be very successful. I am trying to find a landowner & pay a tresspass fee. However, everyone I contact wants me to bring a party of 6 hunters or so (or at least pay for a tresspass for a area that would let 6 hunters hunt). Since I have not locked in on anything yet, I am looking for locations where over the counter licenses are available (such as in CO for seasons 2 & 3). This will give me more time to look.

I have not chosen any particular state. I am in western PA & would intend on driving, so from a practical perspective CO or WY would be about as far as I would want to go. Does anyone have suggestions for me or even potential landowners that I can contact?

Save your money. Keep researching. Contact guides that guide in draw areas. Put in for a tag in the areas recommended. This will keep your expenses down because there is no landowner fee. One guided hunt is worth a half dozen unguided.

Check into left over cow tags, along the CO- WY boarder there is a long late season antlerless elk. Somewhere between I-25 and CO.

New Mexico, Colorado, Utah all have Landowner tags, check out Urge to Hunt, Serge has some reasonably priced bull/cow hunts DIY with landowner tags.

Don't kid yourself about public land hunting. It's vary rare for me and my family to not tag out or at least not have the opportunity to. This year was the first time my father in law has not filled his tag the hole time I've known him. It wasn't because he didn't have the opportunity he was going after a 330" plus class bull or nothing my mother in law had already taken a cow for meat the first mourning. Colorado has over 20 million acres of public land and almost 300,000 elk.

Colorado region 711 has alot of good public land you can get the garmin Dakota 20 for a couple hundred and a map card for it for around $100 these devices are awesome at showing you public lands. i highly recommended one if you're going to do it yourself

mmh. Where in western PA are you?? I'm in Mercer County. I have been hunting elk in the western state since 1983. I have always done the DIY on Public ground/National Forrest. Last year 8 of us went and brought 4 bulls home. We should have tagged out
but that is another story.

Shot ya a pm

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.