NEED HELP in NEPA/Eastern PA ASAP!!

timeless61

Long story short, I had a gun bedded in a new stock about a month ago (Remington 700 DM). I used the magazine for the first time over the weekend, it will not feed. The bolt is not catching enough of the case, the bolt is higher than the case basically. It always worked in the stock that came with the gun, never any problems. The gunsmith that did the work is unavailable when I am available, I work… before the weekend/Monday (our rifle deer season opening).

So, I need someone to look at it, and figure it out and fix whatever is wrong. I realize this is short notice, and I am also frustrated as I am going to have to pay twice to get something done.

Or, I can do it myself, I have one thing to check, (whether stock was cut away enough to allow the clip to go in fully and have both the tabs on side catch the bottom metal) but other than that, the bedding appears to be too high, what is a material I can use for bedding that is readily available in hardware stores or Lowe's or Home Depot?

Thanks in advance

Did the new stock need to be machined for the DBM? If so maybe there maybe wasn't enough material removed to allow the bolt to catch the round in the mag when the action screws were tightened up. Check to make sure that the mag goes all the way in first. He should really make himself available to fix the problem for you since the job was not done right!!! Where are you located here in PA?

I am near Scranton, pa...

the first thing I did was make sure the magazine was going up enough, it was, i did remove some material to allow it to go up further from the stock, made no difference for feeding.

and as far as bending the ears, I would rather not, was with the original stock, it was fine, it still seems like the bedding material raised the action too high above the magazine.

What I am thinking happened is that when he went to bed the action, he might not have clamped down the action to the stock enough. This would allow too much of the bedding compound to remain between the action and the stock which could be causing your problem. The only way I know to fix that problem is to take all the bedding compound out and redo it.

Since your hunting season is so close, your other option is to just single feed your rounds. I know that sucks since your have the magazine there but at least you are still in the hunt.

The only place I have ever gotten a bedding compound is from brownells. It's called acra glass. They sell it at cabelas.

What I am thinking happened is that when he went to bed the action, he might not have clamped down the action to the stock enough. This would allow too much of the bedding compound to remain between the action and the stock which could be causing your problem. The only way I know to fix that problem is to take all the bedding compound out and redo it.

this is exactly what happened, or well the end result, not sure the cause, but the effect is right.

I ground it all out last night, and with no bedding, it works fine, but needed bedding given the aluminum being ground some.

I will check on it today, see how it is, if not, I will probably just buy a rifle before the weekend, maybe a Weatherby Vanguard Series 2, something that will shoot factory pretty well.

this is my 'normal' hunting rifle, not long range, my long range gun is good.

I think single feeding from tree stands and such is just asking for trouble from a success standpoint if more than one shot is needed.

thanks for the replies

bending the magazine lips may be a good quick fix as mentioned above. they are made thin and malable so that the user can adjust them so the rifle feed to his liking. just dont get too crazy. maybe itll be a permanent fix maybe the bedding job will need to be re done but for now it may at least get you buy...or as korhil said ..single shot it.

I looked at the feed lips initially, and it wasn't even close, I would have had to bend them a very lot to get the shell up high enough, with the magazin in, the bolt wasnt even hitting the shells in the magazine.

I will most likely borrow a gun from someone, and over the winter have this taken care of.

Hello.Just to let you know williams brothers in state college pa.sells devcon 10110 and has it on stock,devcon 10110 is a very good and popular compound used to bed rifles and it seems to set up quicker so the gun can be shot sooner ,and grice gun shop in clearfield pa sells brownells bedding kits,I dont use there release agent anymore,instead i use kiwi natural shoe polish it leaves a thinner coat so ther is less clearance between the stock and rifle when finished.
sorry I didnt see your post quicker I could have fixed your rifle for you to use monday.

Williams Brothers Industrial Supply 800-254-3535/814-238-3033
Grice gun shop 814-765-9273 open sunday noon til 5 this time of the year

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.