Need help identifying these cartridges.

barnesuser28

Looking to identify these cartridges.
i think the 2nd one is a 6mm ppc, i think the 4th one is a 300 h&h, 5th a 300 wetherby, and the 6th one a 458 win?
guess-the-cartridge1-1024x768_zpsd71b8a49.jpg

Re: Need help dentifying these cartridges.

I think you are right on the 4th one. The sixth is not a 458 Win. The 458 Win had a belt I believe. Loos like maybe an old black powder case like maybe a 45-120. The fifth one looks like a 378 Wby maybe.

Re: Need help dentifying these cartridges.

now that i look at it some more i think the 5th is a 338-378 weatherby. 6th i got wrong, no belt.

Taking a wild guess, the first is a .221 Fireball, the second is a .220 Russian.

Edit: 3rd could be a plain ol' .308. 2nd is more likely a .22 PPC.

i believe 1st is a 221 fireball, 2nd is a 6mm ppc (the neck looks wider than the 1st one and has a steeper shoulder angle than the 220 russian.), 3rd? (aint a 308 win), 4th a 300 H&H, 5th a 338-378 weatherby, 6th a 45-110? (too long for a 45-120 and too short for the 45-100), 7th 500 A-Square?, 8th 505 gibbs. The ones with ? marks i am not completely sure of, the ones without i am fairly confident are right.

Last edited:
Here is some help....flip them over and read the headstamps. <grin> Just had to say it.

I figure there are no markings or they were made from a different parent case or you wouldn't ask.

Alright you little cheater... :D

Looks like i'm not the only one who gets the monthly Barnes Bulletin.... trying to win the FaceBook challenge are we? :cool:

#6 reminds me a lot of the old NE style cartridges.... maybe a 450-400....
t

Fourth for sure 300 H&H
Fifth probably 30-378 Weatherby, looks to be same caliber as 300 H&H and cartridge head bigger than H&H.
Sixth looks a lot like 9.3x74Rmm
Eighth is way larger caliber than seventh but you need a big bore expert on those two.

Alright you little cheater... :D

Looks like i'm not the only one who gets the monthly Barnes Bulletin.... trying to win the FaceBook challenge are we? :cool:

#6 reminds me a lot of the old NE style cartridges.... maybe a 450-400....
t
LOL ive noticed you and tikkamike posting answers on their page so i was hoping you or him wouldnt see this thread. :D :) I need some 280 grain LRX, and they aint cheap! I just got to be faster to post then you now. haha.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts