Need Help For 17 Rem

yote doctor

I have a Rem 700 that is one of my (coyote calling) rifles. Love this little round! Looking to just use the action and get a new barrel, trigger, stock ect. Just want some ideas of good brands to go with. Would like a 22" medium heavy barrel or something along those lines. Easy to swing around but also have better weight as well. So throw some ideas at me. I have never had a custom build before so this is all new to me.

Thanks!

Last edited:
There is no shortage of quality barrel makers. I have been building quite a few 17 cal. wildcats, for the guys over on Saubier.com, and Dan Lilja's barrels have been the choice of most.

I will second Lilja barrels. Triggers are personal preference. Remington stock triggers can be tunned up and smoothed out and become a nice trigger.
I personally like Jewel triggers, but Timenys do work well also for about half the price . There are many good stock companys to choose from. Russo for great laminated stocks or exotic woods, Manners, HS Precision, McMillian is just a start for synthetic stocks.

I have a Rem 700 that is one of my (coyote calling) rifles. Love this little round! Looking to just use the action and get a new barrel, trigger, stock ect. Just want some ideas of good brands to go with. Would like a 22" medium heavy barrel or something along those lines. Easy to swing around but also have better weight as well. So throw some ideas at me. I have never had a custom build before so this is all new to me.

Thanks!

I gather it's got to be a 17 caliber, and maybe just has to be a 17 Remington. Personally I'd build a 17 Mach IV, or a 17/.222. With a 21" barrel (or even a 20" barrel #5 contour). As for barrels, it looks to me like your after a varmit rig, so I'd just order in a Shilen prefit. It's shipped a few thousandths short, so you'll need a reamer. Or even easier yet is to just send the action over to Pacnor. They'll set it up for you (have your action trued upbefore you fit the barrel of course).

I only own one Remington these days, and it's a 20" barreled .223 with a .246 neck chamber in it. It has the same basic barrel it came from the factory with, but has been cut off at both ends to try and save it from the trash bin. The gun has a near perfect balance, even with the Remington varmit barrel. And is a pleasure to shoot off hand! I gave up on the factory Remington trigger, and never could get it ironed out. It's now got a 1978 reworked factory trigger in it set at 2 lb. Still I long for an even better trigger assembly, but do not want to use a Jewell! I also reworked the bolt head for an M16 extractor (the factory extractor was messing up the case heads), and did a minor rework of the ejector pin & spring. Now the cases are falling right beside the port with little if any damage done to the case head. I would also buy a Holland recoil lug, and firing pin spring (forget the Tubbs one). Pillar bed the action and bed the recoil lug with steel bed or something close to that. I used a Burris base, but if I had to do all over again I'd use a Ferrall with Burris Signature rings. Bed the base to the action just like you bed the action to the stock.

gary

There is no shortage of quality barrel makers. I have been building quite a few 17 cal. wildcats, for the guys over on Saubier.com, and Dan Lilja's barrels have been the choice of most.

+1

I wont down rate any barrel maker but i will only use a few premium barrels and Lilja
is my first choice.

All of the premium barrels will take about 3 months to get unless you are lucky and
find one that someone rat holed .

This is also a good place for the 3 groove rifling in a slow twist (12 to 15).

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.