Need help finding a muzzle brake for sons 7WSM

Sako7STW

I see lots of talk on here about muzzle brakes so i apologize for yet another topic. I really wanted to get him a brake for his rifle this Christmas. It is a Savage Weather Warrior with of course, a SS Bbl. in the 7WSM. He is just a little feller and I am doing reduced loads for him now but he has proved he is ready for the Elk hunt so it is time to step up. I just dont want to see him develop a flinch from the much more powerful loads. What I am looking for is someone that could do a brake for me that wont drain the bank. I don't want shotty work of course but fact is, my daughter had her appendix burst 2 weeks ago so our Christmas budget got severely depleted. So I come here to ask if anyone has any suggestions?

On another note my daughter is doing great. Scary road but we really got the best gift we could have ever wanted and that's her getting the best treatment and having a seamless and fast recovery.

Not sure what you're wanting to spend but defensive edge is reasonable and there brakes are unbelievably effective. I have shot a 7 short mag with 1 of these brakes and the recoil was svery very mild. Defensive edge. 208 687 2659

I use a holland QD on my 7wsm handgun with a riflescope, I have a muscle break on another pistol and it is nice also. I am a huge fan of the side port breaks :)

I am just having Holland brakes install on two rifles and get to pick them up tomorrow. I was searching the web for brakes and I came across this new style that had an outer sleave to shut the ports for hunting. I was thinking what a novel idea. I used to hunt taking head phones along for the noise that my 30-378 would make because of the brake directing painful noise right back at you.

Call Ross and see if he has time. If not get your local gunsmit to install one of these.

They are great and very reasonably priced.
VARMINT BRAKE - Brownells

Do you actually have one of these Brownells? Right off the bat I would give them a "D" rating for being effective. They have no top ports to reduce jump and the 7* degree forward angle of the ports is designed with sound in mind not recoil reduction.

Last edited:
I put the hollands brake on a 7RUM and it took recoil down to that of a .243.
I would not hesitate buying one of these again

Do you actually have one of these Brownells? Right off the bat I would give them a "D" rating for being effective. They have no top ports to reduce jump and the 70 degree forward angle of the ports is designed with sound in mind not recoil reduction.
Well you would be wrong. The ports that angle up are very effective at reducing muzzle flip and the ports are not angled 70 degrees forward, they have a forward angle of only 7 degrees.

I can see my impacts from 100yds on out with it.

It's not as effective at reducing felt recoil as some on the market but it does a good job on muzzle flip and is very easy on the ears/blast because the blast and sound are directed away from the shooter and slightly forward.

Because it's a side discharge you also have no problems with dust blinding and there are no issues with the muzzle flash when shooting in low light.

4202d1322627546t-semi-autos-ar260.jpg

I have been in contact with Ross and I think I am going that route. Thanks for the heads up. Now anyone know of asmith around SW Wyoming that could get this bbl off for me?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.