Need help deciding on the best scope

Buckinrut25

I have a Remington Sendero 7mm mag that I want to upgrade the optics on. I have been reading about a lot of scopes and cant decide. I need to stay under $1000 and I will be using it to hunt Deer and long range target shooting out to 1000yds. I would like to stay around 40-44mm objective lense so I can stay with low scope rings. prefer a 30mm tube and mil/mil in FFP if possible. I am upgrading from SWFA ss10x. Any help you can give would be great.
Thanks in advance
Jerry

I have a zeiss 2.5x10. It really isn't a long range scope by any means. I was looking at some whitetail the other day at about 530 yds. I noticed that 100 isn't enough for a grand but 14x or 16th would be. It was amazing that the quality glass mag
De such a difference on the target. 600 yd. game is no problem. 1000 yd. target is something different. If it was me, and a hunting rifle, I would focus more on glass quality than I would magnification to an extent. If you "scimp" on glass you will need more zoom. If you get great glass then zoom will only benefit you more than previously imagined. My 24x Nikon monarch doesn't seem as clear or sharp as my 100 zeiss at 600. Just my 2 cents jack.

I'm flexable on the scope specs. The main thing I care about is tracking of the turrets and then optical clarity. Due to being a hunting rifle also I would like something around 4-14 or in that range. Is the vortex hst a FFp? I have been looking at the Vortex PST in FFP 6-24x50. The optical clarity seems to be there. How accurate do the turrets track? I think I have narrowed it down to either that or a used IOR Valdada 4-14x50. Which would ge the better choice.

The hslr with xlr reticle is a ffp scope. I think it has plenty clear enough glass for hunting and the tracking seems to be spot on. It also has a zero stop function and covered windage turret which I like as it gives me less things to worry about moving during transport. I at first thought the xlr reticle was a little busy, but after having a ton of time behind the scope I absolutely love it.

Here is a link to the scope and specs....I have run mine out to a mile with good luck...but like the fact I have hold over points out to 1200 with my rig and I tend to use those in hunting situations.

Vortex Optics - Viper HS LR 4-16x50 FFP XLR (MOA)

Jordan@406

I have a zeiss 2.5x10. It really isn't a long range scope by any means. I was looking at some whitetail the other day at about 530 yds. I noticed that 100 isn't enough for a grand but 14x or 16th would be. It was amazing that the quality glass mag
De such a difference on the target. 600 yd. game is no problem. 1000 yd. target is something different. If it was me, and a hunting rifle, I would focus more on glass quality than I would magnification to an extent. If you "scimp" on glass you will need more zoom. If you get great glass then zoom will only benefit you more than previously imagined. My 24x Nikon monarch doesn't seem as clear or sharp as my 100 zeiss at 600. Just my 2 cents jack.

Another vote for the Zeiss/quality glass perspective versus a stepdown in glass, higher magnification and fancy reticles. When the glass is crisp, clear and bright...you don't need a ton of magnification. The other beneficial side effect is that you can trace your shot much easier on lower magnification versus having your scope pegged out on max power.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.