Need help choosing a scope please

lonewolf65

Not sure where to start so here goes.....I am shopping for a worthy scope for my remmy 700 .308 sps varmint. It hace a BC stock. This will be a target/hunting rifle....I am no pro and most likely wont be at the range more than 2x a month...Another big note is I live in Minn. Not alot of places to even make a 1000 yd shot. I would guess an average "long range " shot would be 6-800 yds....

I have read till my eyes are sore I know ya get what ya pay for ect....I am in the market for a (give or take) 6-24x50 Illum would be nice also.
1/4 moa adjustments. Mil dot or mildot equiv... Target turrets...
I have looked at most of the high end scopes leupold, burris, sightron.
I Guess I am looking for a dependable scope that will accomodate these needs in a cheaper price range. I am haveing a hard time with spending a 1000+ at this time...Ya I know ya get what ya pay for ..
I would like to get more into the 600-800 $ range, used is also an option.
Yep read back 6 pages in the classifieds.. lol...

I guess what im looking for is more options..different brands that will fit the needs.
I am sure there are a few other who are looking for similar...so this could be a good thread for many...
I will now thank everyone for thier replies Thanks guys (gals also)
If anyone has something for sale feel free to send a pm..

Thanks Dave

I totally disagree with TheOpticZone on this one. If you will be useing the scope for hunting the lowest power setting on the scope is far more important than the top number. I would recomand the Leupold VX 111 in 3 1/2 x 10X with target knobs or if you don`t want to spend quite that much a VX11 in 3 x 9 would surve you well. I do run up to 25X scopes on some of my varmint rifles, but my big game rifles have nothing over the 3 1/2 x 10 Leupolds. Some even have 2 1/2 fixed scopes. AND, when in the field the scope should always be carried on the lowest power setting for close shots where you need all the firld of view you have to find the game fast. For the long shot you will have time to turn up the power. As for the brands of scopes I buy only Leupold. I started shooting scoped rifles in 1965 and over the years have had everything that was on the market, or at least befor 1990. That was when I started switching to all Leupold. The only problem I ever had with one was a 24X target scope that was on a 16 lb. gun that I dropped and the rifle landed on the bell of the scope. There may be other good scopes out there now, but I`ll probly never find them, unless Leupold goes belly up.

Dave,

I have one of the 4.5x22.5 Clearidge Ultras, its one of the best "bang for the buck" scopes out there. There are others of coarse that are as good but you'd be hard pressed to find better.

I do just the opposite of Catfish, on my centerfires I have one 2.5x10, one 4.5x14.5, and three 6x20s, heck even my .22s have a min of 4 or better. I just don't have any trouble finding things at 4 or 6 power, and I sure do like 20x when shots get out there a ways.

Chris

Catfish,

I am not necessarily recommending the 4.5-22.5x50, but he was looking for a scope in the 6-24x range which is why I recommended that size.

Easy guys ....lol..... I do have a marlin xl7 30.06 as my primary hunting rifle..This 308 is a .820 dia 26 inch barrel on a heavy b/c stock it wount be carried too far lol bout 10lb7oz minus scope and sling. however considering the optics are far better with better scopes higher power isnt needed due to better clarity....not to mention my average long shot might be 500 yds tho id like to think 800 tops.....Im building this more for tact. Either way in reality I could be just fine with a lower power even 16 would be great...4-16 ya ...tho there are similar variations of this power all worth considering....and yes lower can be better in closer quarters.....I

Btw guys great debate brings up good info there are alot of options to consider when buying a scope I am really likeing leupold mk4 and burris xtr as for my options as of now just trying to cover my bases there is so much info and little od it is in 1 place lol............my printer hates me....lmao..
THANKS guys.............. keep it up

Lonewolf,

First off, the scopes you listed at the "high end" scopes are NOT high end. They are kinda middle of the road. But with the budget you have, they are exactly where I would look. 3.5-10 or 4.5-14 leupolds are my choice. If you are really trying to save a buck, look for a used Leupold. Lifetime warranty. no questions asked.

I have the exact rifle/stock combo you have. I wound up putting a zeiss conquest 3.5-10x44 on it and it has served me well hunting in Canada, NC, and VA. Now I am building a custom 7WSM and leaning more and more toward the vortex viper PST in 4.5-14x50. This Scope has illum reticle and turrets and it also make it in a 6.5-20x50. I beleive the FFP ones are around $900 and SFP $700...typing this on my phone so can't remember exactly but this would be another scope to consider.

You are correct Leupold and Burris are just midrange Mybad ooops....
Im fairly sure 75 %of the ppl on this planet would say a 1000$ for a riflescope is
Hi-end...... But I do stand corrected..

At this moment there is only 1 person I know that wouldnt say I was flippen nuts to spend a 1000$ on a scope.... Includeing My father who is responsible for me even haveing anything to do with guns Thanks Dad lol... OK next order of business..

I couldnt help myself I had a 1000$ budget.......I considered my options and kept it real....Will I ever shoot a 1000 yds prolly not unless at the range and very few go that far around here........... My comparison scope is a Ncstar 6-24x50 which is on my 30.06. Im fairly sure my choice will serve me juust fine and prolly more than expected....................
Oh ya choice was Burris XTR 4-16x50 Illmildot. Ive read a few places that the clicks are 1 in. I called Burris tech they said its a typo that should be changed the cliks are .250 as assured to me by the tech...
I wanted a good dependable scope I wanted 6x24 did I need it no 4-16 is just fine got the turrets mildot even Illum for under 1000$

OMG I SPENT A 1000$ ON A RIFLE SCOPE AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
IS THERE A REHAb UNIT NEARBY???

Thanks guys for all the help
OK next ?????????????????????
What size and brand rings and base?????????????????????????? Again here's rifle
Remmy 700 sps varmint .308 26 in bl.
Getting to a 1000 would be nice. There is 74 inch@100 yds of elev at hand .
Ive got my handy lapping kit awaiting rings....

My current ammo is 147 grain surplus from Midway . Nope dont know the vel yet ??? I do plan on getting a Better choice of ammo as $$ Allows...
THanks guys!!!! :D

lonewolf, i just saw this thread. i have a 6-20 lupy with target turrets and a Tucker conversion. the tucker makes the turrets track absolutely great. scope is in very good condition. i'd ship it to ya for 520.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.