Need help choosing a new Bowtech

Arc

So I am about to pull the trigger on a new bow. I am choosing Bowtech because I have a dealer very close to where I live that has let me try several models and I am completely sold and I am having trouble deciding on which one to choose. So far the Insanity CPXL has my attention. I like it's stability and its super smooth motion. The Experience and 360 RPM are contenders too but I'll be honest, I'm not an expert archer, Yet!.... I am currently shooting a PSE Stinger so any of the three should be a huge upgrade.

Hopefully this bow will last for a good while, so I want to make sure I make the right choice. I will be using it to hunt but will probably do more target shooting than anything else. I really want to do some long range target shooting so that's why I'm thinking the stability and 35 inch length of the Insanity will be best for what I'm looking to do. Im consistently hitting my large Hurricane target at 60-70 yards but groups are all over the place. I was really hoping that with the right bow setup I could be putting 5-6 inch groups at that distance pretty easily.

Again I'm not an expert and would love any insight/opinions. Also if you could make suggest some good vanes that'd be great too! Looking at the blazer quick fletchs. The ones that put a "spin" on the arrow. Havent tried them but in theory, they sound awesome.

Thanks for any help guys! :D

I don't shoot Bowtech but before pulling the trigger on one go to Lancaster Archery under the forums and read. I have heard a lot about Bowtech not honoring their warranty but have no first hand experience if that is true or not. Not sure if people misused their equipment and were upset by not getting it replaced for free. If it feels good and you shoot it well then by all means get it, just make sure to research it before you do.

As far as arrows go make sure to get the ones for your draw length and draw weight. I have not tried the helical ones, the ones that put more spin on your arrow. My target arrows use to be Warrior carbon arrows that cost about $6 apiece. They worked great at 20 yards. Also no crying when I started shooting longer distances and missed the target and hit the block wall setting my sight pins. I went to my hunting arrows of Mayhem Hunters by Carbon Express, about $12 apiece, once I got dialed in. I was having the same problem you were at 60 yards but after switching I now get 6" groups all day long at 60 yards. More like 3" if I am doing my part. I shoot them year round as I mainly have my bow for hunting.

Thanks for the tips guys! I think I'll give the helical vanes a try. Trial and error type thing. I guess thats why its called a hobby/obsession. I have definitely heard the horror stories about Bowtech and warranty issues especially with the 360 RPM. The guy said he's lost count of the broken ones coming back through the door. Thats got to be a scary *** experience and I hope it never happens to me :rolleyes:

So I am about to pull the trigger on a new bow. I am choosing Bowtech because I have a dealer very close to where I live that has let me try several models and I am completely sold and I am having trouble deciding on which one to choose. So far the Insanity CPXL has my attention. I like it's stability and its super smooth motion. The Experience and 360 RPM are contenders too but I'll be honest, I'm not an expert archer, Yet!.... I am currently shooting a PSE Stinger so any of the three should be a huge upgrade.

Hopefully this bow will last for a good while, so I want to make sure I make the right choice. I will be using it to hunt but will probably do more target shooting than anything else. I really want to do some long range target shooting so that's why I'm thinking the stability and 35 inch length of the Insanity will be best for what I'm looking to do. Im consistently hitting my large Hurricane target at 60-70 yards but groups are all over the place. I was really hoping that with the right bow setup I could be putting 5-6 inch groups at that distance pretty easily.

Again I'm not an expert and would love any insight/opinions. Also if you could make suggest some good vanes that'd be great too! Looking at the blazer quick fletchs. The ones that put a "spin" on the arrow. Havent tried them but in theory, they sound awesome.

Thanks for any help guys! :D

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

I know exactly what you mean by huge upgrade/improvement; I was shooting a 1998 Mathews Signature (295 FPS IBO) ... nothing fancy or fast but very forgiving. My buddies and I were at an indoor archery range and the son's owner said "I can tell from here that your set-up could use upgrading ... I was going to give you a hard time but you're still hitting the target at 50-60 yards." :D

There are so many awesome bows out there it is very hard to keep up. For Christmas last year, I purchased a used 2012 PSE Omen Pro (366 FPS IBO) from another member here; installed Black Gold sight, Ripcord rest, and new string but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet because I'm currently doing physical therapy for a left tennis elbow. As you can see, it's quite the improvement in speed department. We shall see ...

I have been using blazer vanes for many years and I am very pleased with them on my set-ups.

Good luck!

Ed

Helical is all in the vanes (fletching) I would recommend investing in good sights and a good rest and getting your groups tighter before stepping into a new bow. Some time spent tightening your groups will pay large dividends and better sights and rest will transfer to a new bow easier and relieve the sticker shock of buying a new bow and not having the rest of the equipment keep pace.
How are your groups in closer? I would spend some time at 20-40 yards and get to where you feel very confident 3 arrows on the bullseye before going out to 60.
On arrow and fletching selection I love gold dots just a tank of an arrow and I am currently shooting FOBs on my arrows they are worth looking into. The FOBs really helped my broad heads straighten out.
good luck

+1 on the FOBs. I shoot an older bowtech with QAD fall away, that combo really helped my accuracy.

I bought a new bowtech last year, the Experience and it has been awesome. I got good components and the guys at the bow shop set up the bow tuned and fit to my draw length. I immediately started shooting better groups and then started shooting longer ranges to tighten up my technique. It is as good as I could hope for. With my short draw length, I get about 290 fps from the bow, but it shoots crazy tight groups out to 70 yards.

I'm a bit scared about the stories of the warranty mishaps at Bowtech, and hope they get that straight, but so far I have had no troubles with the bow and it has held tuning and shoots straight. As the string stretched, I have slightly increased draw weight and it killed an elk and a deer last year. Photo of deer attached. Good luck with your choice. A good friend of mine said shoot all the bows and then buy the one that draws and feels the best to you. That will be the best bow for you. I shot the Hoyt also, but Bowtech felt better to me. My local shop carries Hoyt, and the bowtech shop is 1.5 hours away, but I picked the bowtech because it felt right. Practice a lot and work on technique and good things will happen.

Attachments

• 20141028_085921.jpg
    20141028_085921.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 185
My suggestion would be to shoot several different bows by several different manufactures. One or two will stand out based on your shooting style. You may find out that preconceived ideas about a bow may not be the one, but what do I know. I have only been shooting bows (compounds and trad) for 45 years.

My suggestion would be to shoot several different bows by several different manufactures. One or two will stand out based on your shooting style. You may find out that preconceived ideas about a bow may not be the one, but what do I know. I have only been shooting bows (compounds and trad) for 45 years.
I agree. I shot a New Breed Eclipse today & it was great for me at least, had to buy it.

I bought a new bowtech last year, the Experience and it has been awesome. I got good components and the guys at the bow shop set up the bow tuned and fit to my draw length. I immediately started shooting better groups and then started shooting longer ranges to tighten up my technique. It is as good as I could hope for. With my short draw length, I get about 290 fps from the bow, but it shoots crazy tight groups out to 70 yards.

I'm a bit scared about the stories of the warranty mishaps at Bowtech, and hope they get that straight, but so far I have had no troubles with the bow and it has held tuning and shoots straight. As the string stretched, I have slightly increased draw weight and it killed an elk and a deer last year. Photo of deer attached. Good luck with your choice. A good friend of mine said shoot all the bows and then buy the one that draws and feels the best to you. That will be the best bow for you. I shot the Hoyt also, but Bowtech felt better to me. My local shop carries Hoyt, and the bowtech shop is 1.5 hours away, but I picked the bowtech because it felt right. Practice a lot and work on technique and good things will happen.

Very nice deer! I know exactly what you mean by being handicapped with short draw length -- mine is only 26.5". My bow is lowered to 50 lbs (can go up to 63 lbs) but I am still getting 286 FPS out of 318g arrows.

I am good up 40 yards at this time. I've shot it up to 65 yards but not willing to take a game that far at the moment.

I may be a little late to the party but here's my 2 cents. I upgraded from my Bear Legion to the Bowtech Boss this year. The Bear was a great starter bow but I was ready to upgrade. I did a ton of research and shot a bunch of bows! I learned so much in this whole process. The Boss is a 36" axle to axle bow. Mine is maxed at 71 pounds at a 30.5" draw. I have it set on the performance setting. I feel it draws so nicely on this setting I may never change it! I'm shooting a 405 grain Victory RIP at 310 fps. I'm using AAE Max Stealth for veins. They have a crazy helical! The shop I bought the bow from showed me a little trick with the Arizona EZ fletch mini. Which I would highly recommend! It's great for making your own arrows or just repairing a vein or two. I went to the Montana Black Gold single pin slider sight. It's amazing! Such a clear sight picture! Extremely bright pin in low light but with the photo chromatic filter no halo in bright light. With my set up I'm able to set the sight at 30 yards and I'm about an 1.5" high at 20 and about 2.5 low at 40. I don't even have to touch the sight unless my target is past 40. I've shot out to 100 yards for practice. The rest is a Trophy Taker Smackdown Pro. Overall I'm very pleased with its performance.

In the spirit of lrh, bowtech just came out with the Legend, it's a tribute bow to Chris Kyle who also shot bowtech. It's a cp bow that looks awesome

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.