Need help choosing a caliber

midwesthunter

OK, I thought I had my mind made up on a 7mmSTW with a 30" barrel. But more and more people tell me that I will have to re-barrel at about 1,000 rounds. I'm working with a model 700 action with a 8mm mag bolt face. Not wanting to really change the bolt face. i'm looking for a nice smooth custom build. I will be punching paper and using for anything from groundhogs up. I have another 8mm mag so don't need a large caliber. Just looking for a caliber that will shoot flat and decent speed. but not trash a barrel. What are my options?

Most calibres with a mag bolt face are going to burn out a barrel. You could go down to 7mm rem mag ad get a couple of hundred rounds extra, or go to 338 edge.
How many rounds do you expect to shoot each year? How long will it take you to shoot 1000 rounds?

Stu.

Might take me 2-3 years to shoot that many rounds. I have been thinking of doing a 338 edge also. Wasn't sure If I could use the donor action I have?

A 338 edge is a magnum bolt face, should be no problems. Maybe get an extended magazine box. The feed rails may need to be opened as the Edge is a fatter cartridge.

Stu.

You said groundhogs and up? Up to what? If it is up to deer size why not build a 6mm Norma BR.? It is one of the most accurate rounds out to 1,000 yds. I built one for hunting and it has shot 2 5 shot groups at 200 yds in the low .3s" and almost all the other groups were under 1/2". May get 10,000 rounds out of it before you need a new barrel. I killed an 8 pt. buck with it at 200 yds and had a complete pass through the neck spine and out through the leg bone on the other side.

If you don't need such a big bore rifle get one you will really have fun with.

joseph

PS: I'm going to hunt antelope & mule deer with it this fall in Wyoming.

l dont know man 8 mm's are cool if l were you l would go classic and get some ww2 action 7.9 MAUSER great lookin round. if you want performance l would go 8*68sgun)

You said groundhogs and up? Up to what? If it is up to deer size why not build a 6mm Norma BR.? It is one of the most accurate rounds out to 1,000 yds. I built one for hunting and it has shot 2 5 shot groups at 200 yds in the low .3s" and almost all the other groups were under 1/2". May get 10,000 rounds out of it before you need a new barrel. I killed an 8 pt. buck with it at 200 yds and had a complete pass through the neck spine and out through the leg bone on the other side.

If you don't need such a big bore rifle get one you will really have fun with.

joseph

PS: I'm going to hunt antelope & mule deer with it this fall in Wyoming.

I have a dasher ( baisicly a 6 BR imp.) I use as a back up at 1000 yd matches. For deer season I bolt the bbld action into a hunting stock. 2 years ago my youngest (8 at the time) smoked a large doe at 514 yards. 105 berger VLD at 2950. Took out both sholders and exited!!

It realy is all you need, ........but..........I like a little overkill:D:D. Something between a 7mmsaum up to a big 338.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.