Need help buying my 1st scope. Which one do I get?

I know a scope doesn't blip on your radar for less than $3k, but everyone has to work within their means. You have a lot of experience, so why don't you offer up something constructive for someone who is new to the game.
Because asking for the best of everything, then saying "for under $1000" is not realistic.

If the question would have been "what is the best FFP scope I can get for $1000" and where am I going to have to expect to make concessions?", then some realistic answers could have been given. The scope the OP is requesting does not exist.

Because asking for the best of everything, then saying "for under $1000" is not realistic.

If the question would have been "what is the best FFP scope I can get for $1000" and where am I going to have to expect to make concessions?", then some realistic answers could have been given. The scope the OP is requesting does not exist.

I didn't see him asking for the best of everything. He had a long list of features he wanted, but he also said it was his first purchase so maybe you could have enlightened him to the fact that something on that list might have to give. He also offered up an Athlon as a question which gives you a pretty good metric of where he is looking on the market price and quality wise. Four pages worth of people disagree with you on what can get him to 1000 yards with his features and budget, so perhaps the solution to his problem does exist even if it is not up your standards.

9FBE61B0-D150-49A8-B22D-B1A4510265E9.jpeg

Hello, trying to purchase my 1st rifle scope. Its going on an AR-10 chambered in 300 WSM with a 26 inch barrel. I'm guessing I will be able to go over 1000 yards, dunno how much further. A mile? Anyway, I want a front focal plane, illuminated reticle, locking turrets I think, and maybe the turrets that return to zero real easy like they stop once you hit the set zero, good glass quality, great tracking, and a lifetime warranty. Basically all the good features. I also want to stay around 1000 bucks. So please tell me who I need to look at. Athlon? Thanks.
You're not going to get all of that for a thousand bucks. You would probably have to be willing to at least spend2,500.

For top-of-the-line glass with all of those features you're talking closer to 3-4k to get there.

You're not going to get all of that for a thousand bucks. You would probably have to be willing to at least spend2,500.

For top-of-the-line glass with all of those features you're talking closer to 3-4k to get there.
Meopta optica 6 3x-18 -800 bucks 4.5x27 - 900 bucks FFP zero stop zero lock good glass European made , Great scopes and a lot of reticle choices . The perform way above there paygrade . Read the Reviews

I want to mostly hunt with it, but also shoot some paper. Like a 50-50 to 75-25 use of hunting to target shooting. The rifle will be used and abused. And yeah I don't want to spend 2000 on a scope. I would be happy with 1000.
If you're willing to spend a bit more then the VX5-5-20x50 or VX6-3-18x50 will get you great glass but you'll still be short on such things as a Zero Stop and turret lock.

That being said those are not features that will really make a whole lot of difference to you with your intended uses.

I've got a Vortex Razor Gen1 that is basically brand new. Mounted but never out of the safe. I've got everything for it. I'd make you a helluva deal on it in your budget. If interested let me know, PM me. I've also got a set of ARC rings for it also but they might not be high enough for a AR, probably would depend on the hand guard you go with.
Thank you for the offer, I'll let you know what I want to do.

Sorry about how I came off….I really just wanted you to think about how far you know how to shoot and make a reasonable goal to shoot further. Sounds like you are working on that.

I'm not a huge fan of gas guns for long, but even I know it is possible to make them shoot! Small bit of advice…. I would look into a Triggertech Diamond. They are really the best AR trigger IMO for this kind of work.

I don't know anything about Deadshot barrels…..did you get the KAK bolt they recommended? Which blank did you get? Keep us posted how it groups.
You came off fine. I will def look into Triggertech Diamond. I did check their option for a barrel that was headspaced to a KAK bolt when I ordered it. Also have a KAK bolt. The blank was the Lothar Walther one. Their was 2 choices, the other was Green Mountain. LW blank was 175$, GM blank was 30 bucks. Got the LW cause it was longer. I'll keep you posted with the grouping as well.

Hello, trying to purchase my 1st rifle scope. It's going on an AR-10 chambered in 300 WSM with a 26 inch barrel. I'm guessing I will be able to go over 1000 yards, dunno how much further. A mile? Anyway, I want a front focal plane, illuminated reticle, locking turrets I think, and maybe the turrets that return to zero real easy like they stop once you hit the set zero, good glass quality, great tracking, and a lifetime warranty. Basically all the good features. I also want to stay around 1000 bucks. So please tell me who I need to look at. Athlon? Thanks.
The good folks here have shared many good options and good luck with whatever choice you decide to make. From my experience, I would recommend a NF SHV. It checks all of your boxes and the glass for the price range is very clear. I honestly prefer the SHV over the NXS for hunting due to how only the center crosshairs illuminate.

Meopta optica 6 3x-18 -800 bucks 4.5x27 - 900 bucks FFP zero stop zero lock good glass European made , Great scopes and a lot of reticle choices . The perform way above there paygrade . Read the Reviews
Those do lock.
The Meopta has all the features as your 2500 too 3000 dollars scopes . The 3-18 ffp on up have zero lock and zero stop . They have some of the best glass out there . They used too make the Zeiss conquest , the old Meopro 4-14 is a clone . I have several Meoptas and unless you are shooting competition you can't beat the quality for the price . They will still hold there on in comp , they are not Chinese made have European glass and are made in Checklosivokia. If you read the reviews they are usually reviewing them up against some of the more known name brand scopes costing over twice as much including Leopold . ( not taking anything away from Leopold)