Need help buying my 1st scope. Which one do I get?

Th0tSlayer117

Hello, trying to purchase my 1st rifle scope. Its going on an AR-10 chambered in 300 WSM with a 26 inch barrel. I'm guessing I will be able to go over 1000 yards, dunno how much further. A mile? Anyway, I want a front focal plane, illuminated reticle, locking turrets I think, and maybe the turrets that return to zero real easy like they stop once you hit the set zero, good glass quality, great tracking, and a lifetime warranty. Basically all the good features. I also want to stay around 1000 bucks. So please tell me who I need to look at. Athlon? Thanks.

Leupold Mark 5 HD was my thought until I saw your budget requirement.

Vortex Viper PST Gen II has all of the features with the exception of a locking turret. I have a few and they are great scopes and fit your budget. I have no experience with Athlon, but the Ares BTR Gen II would hit all the marks except locking turret as well.

I want to mostly hunt with it, but also shoot some paper. Like a 50-50 to 75-25 use of hunting to target shooting. The rifle will be used and abused. And yeah I don't want to spend 2000 on a scope. I would be happy with 1000.

3X18X50 Burris XTR III, I have one and its the cats meow for what your looking for and its a shorty too, so its pretty lite. That AR10 is going to be a boat anchor by the time you get glass on it and a magazine full of ammo.
There's one for sale on this site too, or go look on Cameraland NY they had em on sale a couple weeks ago.

Leupold Mark 5 HD was my thought until I saw your budget requirement.

Vortex Viper PST Gen II has all of the features with the exception of a locking turret. I have a few and they are great scopes and fit your budget. I have no experience with Athlon, but the Ares BTR Gen II would hit all the marks except locking turret as well.
I have an Athlon, for the money its ok, I am spoiled too, maybe to many S&B, NF and Sightron III's on the pew pews.

Yeah I'm looking at it right now. Not a bad price I think. And yeah it's gonna be heavy, lol. Kinda works against me but that's what im gonna use it for.

Yeah I'm looking at it right now. Not a bad price I think. And yeah it's gonna be heavy, lol. Kinda works against me but that's what im gonna use it for.
I have 4 Burris scopes and I have some REALLY high end scopes too, they are good scopes before I went to an Athlon I would look at some of the Sightron options, I rank their glass right up there with Night Force, have 1 on a 338 Lapua and it works great out to 1500, that's the farthest I have got to shoot it.

$999.99
$649.99

Midway has the 5-25 vortex pst gen 2 for $625 right now. The Athlon BTR gen 2 is a nice scope as well. I have one and have had no complaints with it.

Hello, trying to purchase my 1st rifle scope. Its going on an AR-10 chambered in 300 WSM with a 26 inch barrel. I'm guessing I will be able to go over 1000 yards, dunno how much further. A mile? Anyway, I want a front focal plane, illuminated reticle, locking turrets I think, and maybe the turrets that return to zero real easy like they stop once you hit the set zero, good glass quality, great tracking, and a lifetime warranty. Basically all the good features. I also want to stay around 1000 bucks. So please tell me who I need to look at. Athlon? Thanks.
If you are buying your first scope and haven't been given some great scopes before, shooting a 1000 yards is like stepping into a boxing ring with Muhammad Ali your first time boxing. I'd look for a used Nightforce SHV the glass is awesome, the reticle is thin enough when shooting first focal plane and you magnify your reticle won't totally cover up your target. And they are available with illuminated reticles