Need help buying 300 wsm for under $1200

win270wsm

Thanks for all the help in advance. I am wanting to buy a new rifle in 300wsm. I have a budget of $1200. I have a nikon Monarch 4-16x50 bdc ordered for $300. I would like to have a heavier barrel and i am not against ordering a cheaper gun and putting a new stock on it . Thanks again for all of your input.
win270wsm

Savage model 12 LVP DBM, have it re-pillared and bedded and take your extra money and spent it shooting!! I shoot a 270 WSM that just has a different stock and a buddy shoots one in a 22-250 they are awesome out of the box!!!

Get a Stevens 200 for about $300. Buy a prefit barrel, 26" varmint contour for about another $300.

Last thing get a good stock. Stockade, B&C Duramax, Choate Tactical, or a Stocky laminate. All of them are less than $300.

That should leave you with a little for rings and bases. I'd suggest Burris Xtreme bases with Signature Zee rings.

That should make you a kick butt rig.

If you go the Savage route, let me know. I have a barrel you might be interested in.

OR... you could buy a Savage 11-Long Range Hunter in 300WSM for about 750'ish... barrel is a magnum contour w/break to take the sting out! They have the accutigger and accustock w/karsten cheekpiece. All you'll need to do is add scope and bases and there you go!
IF you reload, there should be no reason why you couldn't get that rifle to shoot .5 MOA easy!
Maybe something else to look at is the Winchester Model 70-Coyote Light in 300 wsm. Little "sexier" looking package than the Savage. I think they'd be more in the 850 range? Has a medium heavy barrel!

sorry fogot to say after $300 dollar scope all that is left is $900. U guys are full of great info.

Gunbroker.com has 210 bolt actions in 300 WSM listed with pricing from under $500 to over 5K. I bid $525 for my NIB Remington 700 VLS in 204 Ruger which left bucks for the rest of a DYI project still in the works which includes a Jewell shipped at 1 lb., pillar bedding for the factory laminate and a B&C 2965 (A3 style) stocks using erniethegunsmith.com parts and installation doodads with Steel-bed, and this time I'm going to see how well Leupold QRW rings work for swapping around the Vari-X III 6.5-20x40AO for paper and jugs and a Nikon Monarch 4-16x50 to aid the feeding of our poor starving buzzards.

You'll need someone with a FFL to handle the transfer on your end and most sellers' ship the same day they have both a copy of that license and your USPS money order. gun)

sorry fogot to say after $300 dollar scope all that is left is $900. U guys are full of great info.

My way get's you a custom combination for less than $900.:D

The Stevens 200 would be a long action and center feed. That way you will have great feeding and able to fit the longest of bullets to the lands.

I recently picked up a used Model 700 SPS 300 WSM for $400 at a Scheels and took the stock off put a $200 Bell and Carlson and replaced the trigger myself and have $850 in the gun and it shoots lights out!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.