Need help and suggestions for moa rail and rings Current setup wont work

excaliber

I just bought a new Zeiss V4 6-24x50 scope and Hawkins LR Hybrid rings. They were supposed to go on my Rem 700. The rings will not allow my scope to sit properly as the taper to the bell area is to fat. (Photos attached)
I would like the scope to sit lower if possible. I liked the idea of the 25moa rings but they will not work.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what you would do in this situation? 20 moa Rail with lower rings? Does someone build a two piece 20 moa pic. rail for the Rem 700 LA?

I spoke with Hawkins and where I bought the rings and they both said I need to change rings and go to a rail or change the scope.

I want to keep the scope.
I could use some advice on where I should go with my setup. I want it as light as possible within reason/price.

Attachments

• Rem 700 Zeiss V4.jpg
    Rem 700 Zeiss V4.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 289
  • Hawkins ring fit.jpg
    Hawkins ring fit.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
I just bought a new Zeiss V4 6-24x50 scope and Hawkins LR Hybrid rings. They were supposed to go on my Rem 700. The rings will not allow my scope to sit properly as the taper to the bell area is to fat. (Phots attached)
I would like the scope to sit lower if possible. I liked the idea of the 25moa rings but they will not work.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what you would do in this situation? 20 moa Rail with lower rings? Does someone build a two piece 20 moa pic. rail for the Rem 700 LA?

I spoke with Hawkins and where I bought the rings and they both said I need to change rings and go to a rail or change the scope.

I want to keep the scope.
I could use some advice on where I should go with my setup. I want it as light as possible within reason/price.
I would get a rail you can get them with different MOA adjustments I have a 20 MOA rail on mine it will actually help Stiffen your action and gives you more adjustments as far as your scope and where your ring set think that would be your cheapest And easiest way out

EGW makes rails for all 700s. But looking at your pics are you saying that the front ring is slightly up on the bell of the scope. In other words you don't have enough room between the rings for your scope. If so then either new rings and a rail or possibly a difference set of rings might give you enough clearance.

To Bill's point, 20moa rails help in multiple ways. Leupold Backcountry rails are pretty plentiful (Basspro/Cabelas/LGS) for Rem 700 & clone actions. Warne is also a favorite. Seeking/Nightforce are on the higher end. Leupold Backcountry rings are pretty good and plentiful as well. Could try them and if they don't fit your needs, return and get a different size.

EGW makes rails for all 700s. But looking at your pics are you saying that the front ring is slightly up on the bell of the scope. In other words you don't have enough room between the rings for your scope. If so then either new rings and a rail or possibly a difference set of rings might give you enough clearance.

The rings as mounted on the gun are too wide for the scope.

If the optic is in the right place for eye relief your going to have an issue with a rail as well if you lower it. Some of these new optics are like the design engineer has never mount an optic on a rifle!!

The scope needs to move forward as it's about a 1/2" too far back. The scope is also too high off the barrel for my liking.
I'm wondering what others have done with these V4 scopes on a LA Rem 700?

The rings as mounted on the gun are too wide for the scope.

The scope needs to move forward as it's about a 1/2" too far back. The scope is also too high off the barrel for my liking.
I'm wondering what others have done with these V4 scopes on a LA Rem 700?
Ouch, ya that's going to be an issue with a rail. It's gotten to the point many optics and mounts you end up high with an adjustable cheek piece on the stock.

I use burris Signature Zee rings and they mate to a pic /rail Or weaver steel Or aluminum bases , Burris's Zee rings with plastic inserts will not scratch and hold great ,nitforce used to make a sell two piece 20 moa bases, ive got two sets 700/sa & 700/la , like said above if you get the pic/rail get MEDIUM rings to fit your scope and bring it closer to your bbl, my Meopta 3x18x50(,30 mm) just clears with my medZee rings fitted to my weaver bases on three different rifles , good luck and Cheers!

I'm not happy with how things are working out on this scope setup. Little did I know this scope is actually too short for a Long Action. When I ordered it I told them the rifle it was going on and they recommended the rings. They failed.
I just can't find a decent option to get this scope mounted and get it lowered to the barrel.
I can always return both the scope and rings but I'll give it a while to see if there are any options that will work.

I'm not happy with how things are working out on this scope setup. Little did I know this scope is actually too short for a Long Action. When I ordered it I told them the rifle it was going on and they recommended the rings. They failed.
I just can't find a decent option to get this scope mounted and get it lowered to the barrel.
I can always return both the scope and rings but I'll give it a while to see if there are any options that will work.
It's not something I care for myself but how about looking into a one piece mount

I definitely understand but if you could find one that would work as much as I hate to say it maybe you could get used to it

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.