Need help - .308 or 300 UM

tuffy6969

Hi folks - I'm new to this site and need your expert help. I've been "collecting" guns for a few years - mainly on my own without seeking advice. My dad was a gunsmith and helped me a little. However, he is no longer in my life.

Anyhow - here's what I need to know: I am looking for a rifle that can shoot up to 1,000 yards or so. I want it for both hunting at long range, and possibly tack driving competition. I like the Remington 700 in the "tactical" setup. What would be the best caliber and scope for this hybrid I'm looking for? I need advice guys! Help me! :D

Allen

IMO, a Remington factory rifle will not be capable of long range competion shooting. I believe their 700 Sendero rifles if chambered in the 300RUM or 338RUM are capable of long range hunting of big game with the proper components and accurate shooting. If you want a rifle for long range formal competition target shooting you are going to have to spend some moolah and have one built by a good benchrest gunsmith. I don't know how serious you want to be about this endeaver, or how deep your pockets are. Only you can answer that.

I don't want to spend a small fortune. Maybe $2,000 with scope? Maybe I should say that I want to take down an Elk from a hillside and also have a gun that could hit the tack at 600+ yards? I've heard a lot of good things about the Remington 700 XCR Tactical. Any ideas on that one? Maybe in 300? :confused:

SS Krieger barrel ~ $300
Rem 700 donor action ~ $350-$500
Fit-chamber~$225
Blueprint of action~ $400
good hunting stock with alluminum bedding block~ $200-300
skim Bedding of stock/inletting~ $100-200
Brake/installation (if hard recoiling cartridge)~ depends on who you go through but as little as $150 for a good one.

Grand total~ $1725-2075 and possibly less if you find some really good deals or already have a suitable donor rifle.

Finding a top-notch smith to do the work right = $priceless
Not having to constantly try to troubleshoot a *** factory job = $priceless

As for what cartridge to chamber in, really depends on what kind of animal you primarily intend to do your LR hunting for. If you want to go after elk or bear, I'd say one of the magnum .30's at a minimum and personally I'm a devotee of the338's for elk. Though I'm sure there are many here that would disagree.

good scope/rings/bases ~ $600-800

If you're willing to take your time and do some shopping for your components you could get the final price tag down around or below the $2000 mark.

Last edited:
That's the advice I'm looking for. Now...where can I find these parts? Or at minimum - where can I start to look?

Well, the first thing you do is decide what caliber you intend on using, not necessarily what cartridge. If you want a .30, .338 or whatever. Then you order your barrel as soon as you've decided on that. Because it's gonna take you 3-4 months to get your barrel. Then you start researching smith's and find one that specializes in making precision rifles (as in he's the guy that all your local BR/High power and F-class guys are using). While you're doing that you can start looking for your donor rifle/action and possibly stock. If you're lucky you can find a 40X, Sendero, VSSF etc. that already has a HS precision stock or Hogue OM with full bedding block on it for a screamin' deal. Or you find an old 700 that has a beat up stock/shot out barrel but a solid action on it with little/no galling on the lugs and a tight lock up. Or whatever other 700 you can find for a screamin' deal, you can always auction leftover stocks/barrels etc. on one of the auction sites and get a little smithin' cheddar back. Once you've got all that take barreled action/barrel/stock to smith and get-R-done.

Then of course you need to get your scope, rings and bases. Shortly after that all your friends here at LRH and your smith will probably convince you to spend another grand on all the reloading and shooting equipment that you really need. And then my friend, another rifle idiot is born. gun)

Well, the first thing you do is decide what caliber you intend on using, not necessarily what cartridge. If you want a .30, .338 or whatever. Then you order your barrel as soon as you've decided on that. Because it's gonna take you 3-4 months to get your barrel. Then you start researching smith's and find one that specializes in making precision rifles (as in he's the guy that all your local BR/High power and F-class guys are using). While you're doing that you can start looking for your donor rifle/action and possibly stock. If you're lucky you can find a 40X, Sendero, VSSF etc. that already has a HS precision stock or Hogue OM with full bedding block on it for a screamin' deal. Or you find an old 700 that has a beat up stock/shot out barrel but a solid action on it with little/no galling on the lugs and a tight lock up. Or whatever other 700 you can find for a screamin' deal, you can always auction leftover stocks/barrels etc. on one of the auction sites and get a little smithin' cheddar back. Once you've got all that take barreled action/barrel/stock to smith and get-R-done.

Then of course you need to get your scope, rings and bases. Shortly after that all your friends here at LRH and your smith will probably convince you to spend another grand on all the reloading and shooting equipment that you really need. And then my friend, another rifle idiot is born. gun)

Well Devil - I'm such an impatient person. Three months is a LONG time to wait. Not to mention the smithing time. I think I'm going to follow your recommendation and do it right the first time! I appreciate all your help!

BTW - Where can I go online to order a barrel?

Well Devil - I'm such an impatient person. Three months is a LONG time to wait. Not to mention the smithing time. I think I'm going to follow your recommendation and do it right the first time! I appreciate all your help!

BTW - Where can I go online to order a barrel?

Go to Krieger barrels: Home

Figure out what caliber and contour you want and get it on the way. Good news about a Krieger is; if you don't use it, you can sell it for what you paid for it easy. Because someone out there wants what you have and doesn't want to wait for it to get there. If you want a hunting gun I'd go with a #4-#6. Good luck, and make sure you post pictures when you get it.

Good things come to those who wait.

Last edited:
Some might consider it heresey, but call savage. They will put whatever action on whatever barrel and whatever caliber and whatever stock if they have used it in the past or are currently stocking it.(I believe)
If you want to in the future, you can change calibers by yourself. It is actually a better mousetrap in my opinion. If you don't like the barrel that is on your rifle or it is not to your accuracy standard, you can purchase a pre threaded pre chambered barrel. With an action wrench and the right headspace, you are good to go!

tuffy
may need to part with a few of those rifles you have collected to help you get where you want to be. i used to have quantity over quality and no its opposite life is easier.

Go to Krieger barrels: Home

Figure out what caliber and contour you want and get it on the way. Good news about a Krieger is; if you don't use it, you can sell it for what you paid for it easy. Because someone out there wants what you have and doesn't want to wait for it to get there. If you want a hunting gun I'd go with a #4-#6. Good luck, and make sure you post pictures when you get it.

Good things come to those who wait.

You know I will.... thanks for all your help Devildoc! Keep our boys healthy!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.