Need Help 300 RUM

brandonbb

I have been shooting my remington SFS 300 RUM now for a few years. I have only shot it up in colorado and down here in texas a few times and it has performed very well. But, I would like to set it up to shoot further. It currently has a 4-12x56 zeiss scope with a 30mm tube. It shoots fine with 180gr remington factory ammo, but i have only shot it out to about 200yrds. What do i need to do to get out there to 400-800 yrds? Am i allready setup for that? Do i need to change to a hotter ammo? Help me out, I am basically a whitetail hunter from south texas that journeys up north every once in awhile but i would like to someday feel confident out to some greater distances. thanks

I have been shooting my remington SFS 300 RUM now for a few years. I have only shot it up in colorado and down here in texas a few times and it has performed very well. But, I would like to set it up to shoot further. It currently has a 4-12x56 zeiss scope with a 30mm tube. It shoots fine with 180gr remington factory ammo, but i have only shot it out to about 200yrds. What do i need to do to get out there to 400-800 yrds? Am i allready setup for that? Do i need to change to a hotter ammo? Help me out, I am basically a whitetail hunter from south texas that journeys up north every once in awhile but i would like to someday feel confident out to some greater distances. thanks

Welcome aboard. All you can do is go out and try it. Your equipment will definitely let you try it. I would say that your most limiting factor will be your ammo. You will need to start hand loading or find someone who can help you with it. You may be able to run out to near your max distance with factory, but it will probably be tough.

Good luck,

Steve

Use the bc and fps of your factory rounds with any of the balistic programs and you will see that your .300 ultra is more than enough gun to get your bullet out to 1000k. I have had good luck with factoy Scirocco 180 gr out to 600 yards. My gun will shoot a 10" 5 shot group. I have put the rem 700 gun together for less than $1K and have a VX3 4x14 with target tourets. Loading your own and finding what your gun shoots the best will insure better performance at longer ranges than factroy amunition ever will.

good shooting.

+1 with what Steve said. I own and shoot a 300rum. To be effective you, rifle and ammo will need to be at 1 moa or better. 1 moa at 800 yards is approx 8 inches. IMHO I'd start with ammo first, see how your factory ammo does but as Steve mentioned it may be tough...If it doesn't measure up then you might want to consider reloading but, remember it could also be your rifle and/or you may need some work. Try shooting longer distances and see. Keep us posted and good luck.

As i've said before, I have the best performance in my 300RUM with 168 VLD and h-1000 with fed. 215. Used this combo out to 900 yds so far on antelope,deer,elk and coyotes. best combination of speed (3300 fps +/- 16 fps) and terminal !

The only thing I would question is the scope. I am not familliar with that scope. Is the cross hair on the 1st focal plain or the second? The European scopes that I have seen have thick cross hairs to begin with, and when you crank up the power on a 1st focal plain unit, the cross hair pretty much gets way to big for precisian shooting at long distance. I know that not all Ziess scopes are FFP reticals.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.