Need H1000 Loads for New 300 PRC

jraulsten

Finally got the new 300 PRC and shot a few Hornady factory 212 ELD-X through it to break in. Shot those around 1/2" at 100 but I now have some Lapua brass and can't wait to see what reloads will do. I would appreciate some recommendations for starting loads. I only have H1000, CCI 250 primers and the following bullets: 212 ELD-X, 225 ELD-M, and 215 Hybrids. I have trimmed the brass, run through Redding Type S bushing die and primed. The necks on the brass were extremely tight. Had to lube inside necks to (easily) run through carbide expander ball. Also noted that primers seated without much resistance. Anyway, please give me your thoughts on starting loads.

IMG_1510.jpegIMG_1511.jpegIMG_1512.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't have any good data for you as yours is shooting factory better than I have come up with loading so far. There is quite a bit of data on LRO though:

Good luck with it - based upon how it shoots factory Hornady, seems it will be easy to load for. One thing I did find of note - the Precision Hunter 212gr. was only .005" off lands of my rifle - I've never had a factory load that close in anything.

I don't have any good data for you as yours is shooting factory better than I have come up with loading so far. There is quite a bit of data on LRO though:

Good luck with it - based upon how it shoots factory Hornady, seems it will be easy to load for. One thing I did find of note - the Precision Hunter 212gr. was only .005" off lands of my rifle - I've never had a factory load that close in anything.
Is it a SAAMI spec chamber?

Would be interesting to know the case weight difference between your Hornady and Lapua brass. I like to use the powder manufactures load data starting loads if it is available.

Would be interesting to know the case weight difference between your Hornady and Lapua brass. I like to use the powder manufactures load data starting loads if it is available.
Unfortunately, I sold all the Hornady brass without weighing. I was so excited to get the Lapua that I didn't even think about it.

Hornady lists 70.1-78.1 as the range for H-1000 with the 212 and 66.9-77.5 as their book numbers for the 225. I can shoot you pictures of those pages if you'd like.

Can't say I blame you, the Lapua brass should be as good as it gets. We measured some new Hornady at around 258 grains. I usually take 5 cases and work up to max pressure, but lately with short supply I set usable velocity goal and stop there.

Hornady lists 70.1-78.1 as the range for H-1000 with the 212 and 66.9-77.5 as their book numbers for the 225. I can shoot you pictures of those pages if you'd like.
It's odd how Hodgdon gives a higher max load of H1000 for the 212s than that recommended by Hornady..

Can't say I blame you, the Lapua brass should be as good as it gets. We measured some new Hornady at around 258 grains. I usually take 5 cases and work up to max pressure, but lately with short supply I set usable velocity goal and stop there.
Just weighed a Lapua case at 255 grains.

It's odd how Hodgdon gives a higher max load of H1000 for the 212s than that recommended by Hornady..
I have seen that a lot with Hornady data. Between the two sources of info you should be able to find a start and then do whichever test you prefer to find your powder charge and depth. Good luck!

I just figure barrels, twist, primers, powder ect is the reason for charge differences. It is interesting that Hornady speced the 300 prc for 8.5 twist and used an 8 twist for their load data. Maybe it is getting hard for them to get parts to.

Last edited: