Need for Speed? Let's look at the 204 Ruger!

I had a 28" barrel on a TC Encore years ago. Sold the whole thing with hopes to build/buy another. I've been thinking I'd build a bolt gun with a 26" barrel for no reason but fun, maybe p-dogs. What I really want is one in an AR, because shooting accurate auto loaders is too much fun. I'll start gathering parts as soon as I figure clear out the other 3 project guns I have right now. Good points are made about doing a 20 Practical, or 20-223 or Vartag or whatever over the actual 204 Ruger. It might be what I end up choosing.

I have two .204 Ruger bolt guns and. .20 Practical in AR platform. Enjoy both styles. All suppressed. Using Dogtown brass in .204.

Is there a huge difference between 40cal .223 loads? Maybe not a huge difference, but there is a difference in speed/ballistics.

But sometimes you just need something different like a .20 cal projectile to make things fun and interesting.

I would rather shoot my 204 with 40 grains around 4000 fps than 55 grain bullets out of my .243 at the same speed. Both have incredible terminal performance.

I have 2 in AR Platform 24" bull barrel, and they are a blast to shot Prairie Poodles with, you would think that throwing a 39 grain pill at nearly 4000 FPS in quick repetition would burn up the tube pretty quick, 1 has over 2500 rounds down the tube and the other over a 1000 and they shot just as good as the did when they were new. I have brass that have 5 firing on them and they are for the most part no worse for wear. I have a split neck every now and then but its very seldom. The 204 may go the route of obscurity in the future, but if it ain't broke don't fix it is my moto.
I also really like the 204 on an AR platform. I just built one over the winter. Mine has a 24" Proof Research CF barrel, shooting suppressed, gas block tweaked to toss the brass out at 3:00.

Very useful for follow-up shots on a missed coyote, or when more than one show up for the call.

I couldn't find 204 Ruger brass when I looked recently, but I did find some 222 Rem Mag. Anyone try to make 204 brass out of these?

Also, anyone have practical experience with AR-Comp in the 204? For some reason I have a few lbs of this. Looks promising, but haven't worked anything up yet. I've been loading Nosler Varmint BT and Hornady V-Max, both in 32 gr.

I also really like the 204 on an AR platform. I just built one over the winter. Mine has a 24" Proof Research CF barrel, shooting suppressed, gas block tweaked to toss the brass out at 3:00.

Very useful for follow-up shots on a missed coyote, or when more than one show up for the call.

I couldn't find 204 Ruger brass when I looked recently, but I did find some 222 Rem Mag. Anyone try to make 204 brass out of these?

Also, anyone have practical experience with AR-Comp in the 204? For some reason I have a few lbs of this. Looks promising, but haven't worked anything up yet. I've been loading Nosler Varmint BT and Hornady V-Max, both in 32 gr.
Win748 is what I use, never tried the AR comp.

I am also a fan of the 204R. I have two bolt guns that shoot great, but the idea of an AR build has always been in the back of my head. Can anyone recommend a barrel?

Been shooting the .204 since 2004. Best load was with 39 gr SBK on to of 26.8 gr H-4895. BR4 and getting 3,800fps + . still shooting the orginal Ruger 77 MII Target Grey 26". I only re-crowned it once and still shoots 0.156" MOA.
We have about 700 Nosler & Hornady pieces of brass and loaded several times. The only brass we don't have are the ones lost in the field. Wish Lapua made .204 Brass. Lost round count, but several K. When I re-barrel it will be a .204 again.
Some can neck down a 223 to a 20 , but the .204 was a 222 Rem mag necked down to 20 so don't see much value in necking down a 233 unless to use Lapua Brass.
We shot Chucks & PD with other hunters using the 22-250 and shot chucks out to 500 yds. Low recoil and can see the target hits. Also used on Coyotes with devestating effects.
We shoot Varmints Yotes with a 2.04 or .223 If we need something with more hitting power, and buck the wind better will go to a 6BR with 105gr,107gr, 110gr.
Seriosuly thinking about an addition with a 22 BR with 85 gr bullets.
Might be time to wildcat the 204 PPC , plenty of 220 Russian Lapua cases around.

Might be time to wildcat the 204 PPC , plenty of 220 Russian Lapua cases around.
Sounds good, but if already getting, <0.156 MOA and 3,800fps eotj 39gr SBK. in a 26" tubr. Iz do agree there is room for mprovememt. The the cost to chambe all the brass and for what "SPEED" woul I have the same accuracy???
We all see a lot of new cartridges for more SPEED. MOre speed = less brass and barrle life -SOMETIMES!
We are all for changing 204u Ruger to something with a little more case capasity, and still shoothe 39gr SBK.
I guess we will see
Tnank for all this good and intriguing informatation.
Len & Jill

Any suggestions on making an accurate AR in a 20 cal? What's realistically acceptable accuracy from an AR can/should you expect accuracy on par with bolt guns? Does that only work with premium barrels, BCGs, uppers, and lowers? If that's the case, what's premium? Forgive me, I'm a bolt gun guy but I really want a semi-auto 20 cal.

The 20-250 will out run the 20BRA for velocity but I think the BR case speaks for itself in accuracy. For a .223 boltface dont overlook the 20SCC(20VTAI) its 200 fps faster than a 20VT and will run right with a 20 prac with the same bullet with just 21.5 of AA2200

I have both a .204R & .20P. The last .204R gave up at about 3000 rounds using 26.9 IMR8208 with 40 Vmax's. Re-barreled it to same, an 11 twist. I also have an 11 twist .20P that has been shot since 2014 - lost count of rounds, 25.5 IMR8208 & 40 VMax. I got a big batch of LC 5.56X45 brass & am using that for the .20P after much prep work. I also use CFE 223 for both.

Should I go for a .20 in an AR it would be the .20P.

"Any suggestions on making an accurate AR in a 20 cal? What's realistically acceptable accuracy from an AR can/should you expect accuracy on par with bolt guns? Does that only work with premium barrels, BCGs, uppers, and lowers? If that's the case, what's premium? Forgive me, I'm a bolt gun guy but I really want a semi-auto 20 cal."

Good quality barrel under a floated handguard. Good trigger, the rest of the parts arent as important. Obviously scope and shooter matter, but I spend premium $ on high end uppers or lowers when the cheaper options will work just as well. Obviously you don't want a lot of slop where the barrel mates to the upper.