Need compact lightweight scope suggestion

I need compact, lightweight, with good light transmission scope. That I need to put on my 4.5lb 6.5 Grendel. Not planning to take farther that 300 yards at 8-10" target. BDC is a plus, lower power 2 or less, 1200$ max.

Thank you
Imo bdc reticles suck! Period! With a mil or moa reticle you can easily figure out the exact holdovers to as far as you can shoot, or 300 yards. I am not a fan of 2nd focal plane scopes but the Vortex Razor HD LHT 3x15x42 is a very nice hunting scope at about $999. Super clear glass, weighs only 19 oz's, covered windage turret, parralax adjustable, with a illuminated center dot for low light or dark woods. With that scope and a free ballistic app or load info along with some environmental info myself or somebody on here could give you exact hold holdovers and windage data. Bdc reticles are generic and not are rarely dead nuts on. And never allow for wind holdoffs, but to 300 yards wind is pretty much a non factor.
Side note. My Razor HD 5x20x50 broke after 8.5 years of hard use. Sent it in, and got it back fixed in 2.5 weeks for free and Vortex sent me a shipping label. Thats some good customer service and a feather in Vortex's cap. And the 40% off msrp for mil/vet/LE/FR is not bad either.

Last edited:
6x42 Leupold, 13oz, 4.5" eye relief, large eye box. Bulletproof. You can have Leupold customize reticle, add CDS, etc.

You'll laugh at this but it works beautifully. Have them "build" a custom cross hair. Straight cross hair, 1.5MOA dot at 200, 250, 300. You'll need to give them your trajectory info. No dialing. Just aim a choot.

Ooops, forgot to add you could ask for floating dots. Not sure if they do that any longer. One at 100, 200, 250, 300.

Last edited:
I have the same rifle. Well it's 18.8" barrel AR in 6.5 Grendel. Coyote rifle. Started with a VX-3 3.5-10x40 with a 1" tube. Now have a VX-5HD 2-10x40 with a 30mm tube. It is a bit heavier, but the difference between 3.5x and 1" tube compared to 2x and 30mm tube means that on the lowest magnification, I have twice the field of view with the VX-5HD which I like for coyotes running in. And 10x on the top end with a CDS to dial is enough for me.

Hope that helps.

This checks all but one box for you. Only 11oz, doesn't have BDC reticle but does have the custom dial system. There is also a 1.5-4 Mark 3HD that has a BDC option.
Why not this with Boone and Crocket reticle?

The Leupold VX-HD 2.5-8 x 36 CDS-ZL Duplex in a 30mm tube is away to go for a light weight scope. I use and still have a 2x7 that I hunt with for 20 years. Easy 500yd scope and with some practice should be able to go beyond that especially for larger game. With the CDS should make it easy to shoot at distances. I have a CDS scope, but never have put into play. If going from forest to open plains shots it will work.

Do like about like 3X magnification for every 100yd out there, 4X is even better. So if gonna try for 300yds 14X power is not too much to use, 9X would be the least would want for a 300ydR if wantD a tight group, cause the sun ain't always shining on a hunting day under perfect bluebird conditions.

6x42 Leupold, 13oz, 4.5" eye relief, large eye box. Bulletproof. You can have Leupold customize reticle, add CDS, etc.

You'll laugh at this but it works beautifully. Have them "build" a custom cross hair. Straight cross hair, 1.5MOA dot at 200, 250, 300. You'll need to give them your trajectory info. No dialing. Just aim a choot.

Ooops, forgot to add you could ask for floating dots. Not sure if they do that any longer. One at 100, 200, 250, 300.
This fixed 6x Leupold is what I have on my lightweight 7mm-08. Outstanding glass!