Need bullet suggestions! 300rum

Ok I'm shooting a Remington sendero. Im shooting the 190gr nosler ab long range. Accuracy wise I can't complain at all, it will touch holes at 100. But the wound channel is very unimpressive!
We killed 5 deer with this load this season ranging from 200-700 yards. All of them only went 20 yards max but the entrance and exit hole was horrible. 4 of the 5 were heart shots and the bullet entered the leg (breaking it) but still barely an exit wound...and little blood trail.
My only concern is what it one of those shots wouldn't of been as good, how hard would it be to find the deer or would we even loose the deer with the lack of wound channel and blood trail

I'm looking for suggestions for different bullets and loads to try. I'm looking for something that is accurate out to 800yards and has a good exit wound! I'm used to exit wounds the size of a baseball or more from my RUM's

Thanks
Cj
For lead core bullets Hornady Interbond, Nosler Accubond, and Accubond LR.

For monolithics my Rums love the Peregrine VLR 4's and 5's. Never seen a bullet better for consistent expansion and exit wounds.

Unless you're taking full length body shots you'll always get an exit.

Ok I'm shooting a Remington sendero. Im shooting the 190gr nosler ab long range. Accuracy wise I can't complain at all, it will touch holes at 100. But the wound channel is very unimpressive!
We killed 5 deer with this load this season ranging from 200-700 yards. All of them only went 20 yards max but the entrance and exit hole was horrible. 4 of the 5 were heart shots and the bullet entered the leg (breaking it) but still barely an exit wound...and little blood trail.
My only concern is what it one of those shots wouldn't of been as good, how hard would it be to find the deer or would we even loose the deer with the lack of wound channel and blood trail

I'm looking for suggestions for different bullets and loads to try. I'm looking for something that is accurate out to 800yards and has a good exit wound! I'm used to exit wounds the size of a baseball or more from my RUM's

Thanks
Cj
Exit wounds that large make me want to throw up. There's no need to blow up the game we are seeking and excess meat loss is a waste of game.

No experience in many years but when I had a rum the 180 Swift Scirricco performed very well. Of course I didn't stuff my own back then so I was limited in choices.

I'm thinking of building a 300wm for long range and am bouncing between the 215 berger and 200 grain accubond. I know they're both proven performers but I DO like the bonded core of the accubond giving controlled and reliable expansion without blowing up. I've killed a bunch with it. I know it will bleed off velocity faster than the berger but will still hold more then enough out to my max range.

My thoughts are the accubond will maintain 2000 fps to 800 yards at 5000 feet so if the accuracy is there that will be my go to.

I've been captivated by the ultra-high BC craze for several years now but when you look at the ballistics charts it's not much difference at less than 1k. With the excellent range finders and many choices of scopes that can be dialed that little bit of BC can be compensated for. At that point the only other advantage to the High BC is reduced wind drift.

In my opinion, anything less than 200 grains in a RUM is a waste of powder, bullets, brass and time. I will also recommend the 215 Berger. I have shot a lot of deer with them over the last few years and I have found that when I get an exit wound, it's pretty good size and if the deer doesn't drop, it's usually easy to follow the blood trail. I like to shoot the shoulder and when I do my part, the bullet doesn't always exit but the deer have never taken another step. Ever. Heart, lungs, etc, yes they will run but they are running dead. Mine is a 700 with a 28" Brux barrel and I use H1000. I have used the 215's in 3 different RUMs and they were accurate in all 3.

Are you guys talking about the 215 hybrid target bullet? I see they only make a 210 in cold hunting

Depending on your load and barrel contour you might try the 180 Accubond for a little more velocity, or the 200 grain ballistic tip for more expansion. You are in the right bullet weight range based on powder capacity and performance. (180 to 200 grain bullets are optimum in the 300 RUM).

J E CUSTOM
velocities. Think only a piece of bone or bullet exited. These things are pretty explosive in a RUM

As WildRose says the 215 can cause a lot of damage. Worst one I had was a Whitetail buck in Saskatchewan at 734 yds. Hard quartering away shot. Went in last rib and exited off side shoulder dead center. Deer was blood shot from tail to nose. Not sure why. Just the right impact velocity maybe?? Others have not been anywhere near that bad.

Shot my first elk which was a cow at 540 yards with 300 rum and 215 Berger, dropped hard and kicked once. Blew thru the lungs, would not hesitate using it. Have had excellent accuracy results out to 1100 yards with H1000 which is far as I've practiced with.

Can you elaborate? Via the elk I mean?
I just think it expands too fast under 300 yes, maybe 400 to use on heavy game. It is a super killer on white tails but you have to avoid heavy bone close. Like I said earlier, similar to a 25-06 WITH 75 GR HP on coyotes. Exactly what I need hunting deer on a duck club with water everywhere. you can't eat deer ribs anyway, too greasy.

I just think it expands too fast under 300 yes, maybe 400 to use on heavy game. It is a super killer on white tails but you have to avoid heavy bone close. Like I said earlier, similar to a 25-06 WITH 75 GR HP on coyotes. Exactly what I need hunting deer on a duck club with water everywhere. you can't eat deer ribs anyway, too greasy.
BTW, it might be fantastic on elk in a 300WM. The RUM seems to really stress it.

I've been using the 200 AB in my RUM for about 6 years now. I have no complaints with this combo and have taken coyotes to elk with it. I run them about 3180 w/ retumbo and have shot deer as close as 40 yds with no major explosions or bullet failures. I don't see myself changing until the barrel gives up.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.