Need assistance with a TL Hunter action not firing

CjC73

I put together a 338 Sherman on a TL Hunter action with a Brux barrel. I have resized the brass and seated the bullets way out to crush them into the lands to fire form the brass. Had good resistance closing the bolt so I know they're into the lands. Problem is when i pull trigger, nothing happens. Just a click and a small dent in the primer. Has happened on 4 different rounds. Same primers were used on a different round and they fired, so assuming I didn't get 4 dead primers out of about 60 on these.

I'm thinking next step is to check firing pin protrusion? Anyone have experience with this action and could assist on how to disassemble and measure? Or any other things I can try?

Thanks!!!!

Attachments

• 129688.jpeg
    129688.jpeg
    845.9 KB · Views: 194
That was one step I was going to take.

I measured the firing pin protrusion and it's about 0.045". Is this in acceptable range?

Anyone know how to disassemble this bolt?

PXL_20201113_214235145.jpg

Check your pin fall as well, could be causing light strikes. There could be burrs inside the firing pin bore inside the bolt causing it to hang or not make it to full protrusion. I had one these actions a few years back.......nothing but problems. Luckily my smith took it off my hands and gave me 500$ credit towards a better action. He said he could fix it, but would require a fair bit of machine work. It had pin fall issues as well as primary extraction problems.

Mag primers have thicker cups. You might want to try standard. I've had this happen before with CCI 250's and switched to 200's and never had a problem for forming again.

Last edited:
Action timing and fire control systems are often misunderstood and are a significant contribution to accuracy. A consistent ignition system will enable you to achieve the level accuracy that the rest of your components are capable of.
You cannot measure pin protrusion if you took the firing pin out of your bolt.
Sufficient pin protrusion starts at .050", anything less will contribute to lite strike issues even if you don not introduce other variables. Pin fall also needs to be measured. Different triggers will give different firing pin fall measurements. A well timed receiver will allow the use of different triggers and still provide sufficient pin fall.
Thicker stainless primer cups should not affect your ignition if all your other areas are addressed.

I would suggest having your pin protrusion and fall measured by a competent individual by utilizing the trigger you wish to use.

I put together a 338 Sherman on a TL Hunter action with a Brux barrel. I have resized the brass and seated the bullets way out to crush them into the lands to fire form the brass. Had good resistance closing the bolt so I know they're into the lands. Problem is when i pull trigger, nothing happens. Just a click and a small dent in the primer. Has happened on 4 different rounds. Same primers were used on a different round and they fired, so assuming I didn't get 4 dead primers out of about 60 on these.

I'm thinking next step is to check firing pin protrusion? Anyone have experience with this action and could assist on how to disassemble and measure? Or any other things I can try?

Thanks!!!!
Expand the neck then resize 3/4 of it leave the lower part of the neck larger to create a false shoulder it's possible if you're running light neck tension on those cases you simply pushed the bullet back into the case

thanks all.... as mentioned earlier, pin protrusion was only about 42-45 thou. sent the bolt back and he replaced the firing pin with a new one, now at 55 he said. I'm still waiting for it in the mail.

Expand the neck then resize 3/4 of it leave the lower part of the neck larger to create a false shoulder it's possible if you're running light neck tension on those cases you simply pushed the bullet back into the case

That's what I did, 3/4 neck size down from 35 and then loaded the bullet. Round was definitely in there tight.
PXL_20201110_023443797.jpg

Like I said before the three bare actions I have here all measure .042-.045. The one I have built up measures the same and my primers look nothing like yours. Do you by chance have deep primer pockets?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.