Need advise on Rings and Bases Please.

Scratch

Hello,

I'm new to this long range shooting, I have a lot to learn and need to burn a lot of powder to get efficient.

I bought a 300 RUM in Model 700 Sendero, and yesterday I purchased a Zeiss 4.5-14x50. My question or better yet I need advise on which bases and rings to use? I would like to go with a Picatinney style base, and am I better off to go with a 20 MOA? And need advise on rings as well.

Thanks in Advance

Scratch
www.skymountainoutfitters.com

You only need a 20moa base for extended distances. Figure out how far you want to shoot, then check a ballistic chart. It will give you a ROUGH idea of how much drop you'll need to deal with. Don't count on the chart to be completely accurate. From that, you should be able to roughly figure out if you need the 20moa base or not.

Or, just tell us your load and distance. Somebody more familiar with it will be able to help you out. Lots of good rings out there. Pick some with good reviews that look like they are good quality.

Unless you are seriously planning to shoot beyond 1000yds you don't need anything more than 0 MOA base.

Hard to beat the EGW HD rail and they are very affordably priced.

Unless you are seriously planning to shoot beyond 1000yds you don't need anything more than 0 MOA base...

^^^This. You didn't say whether or not your Zeiss has target turrets. If you aren't cranking knobs, you won't have a need for a canted base. I'm not a big fan of EGW but I won't bash them either. Take a look at these manufacturers:

Badger Ordnance
Murphy Precision
NightForce
Leupold MK4
Seekins Precision
TPS
American Rifle Company
US Optics

All of the above manufacturers make picatinny rails except ARC. The scope/rifle interface is an area I will not, under any circumstance, cut corners. Your rifle is only as capable as your optics & you optics are only as solid as the mounts it sits in.

t

Thanks for the information gentlemen !

Outlaw6.0
The Zeiss scope does have target turrets and I'll look into the manufactures that you recommended.

Thanks
Scratch

Do yourself a favor, you bought a nice rifle and scope. Don't go for cheap flexy fliers in the mounting department. The list Outlaw stated is a good one. I will add Near Mfg. if you want top quality as well.

Jeff

I went with a Badger 20 moa base and Badger rings for my build. I wanted to stay steel on steel. Very good quality in my opinion. Broz mentioned Near Mfg. which I would say is probably the Cadilac of bases and rings! Depending on your budget, you couldn't go wrong with any of the ones Outlaw mentioned! Good luck.

One important element that is often missed, after the scope and mounts are selected, is to get the mounts installed and aligned properly. There is a lot of good advice here concerning the type of mount you might try, and I certainly agree with most of it. I'm a big fan and the picatinny set up because it's a stiff straight line with lots of adjustment along its length. I use a 20MOA picatinny on my 6BR to help me make better use of the equipment beyond 800 yards with my Leupold 6.5x20x40.
It's rare, perhaps even unheard of, to find mounts that fit the receiver precisely. When you install those mounts, before you start tightening things down, make sure the base fits the receiver perfectly. There are several methods to ensure the fit; my personal favorite is the JB Weld bedding technique. You can check those processes out yourself. It's worth the time to get it right from the start and avoid the frustration of trying to figure out why things aren't as precise as you want them to be later on at the range or in the field.
I like these rings: Search Words: leupold adjustable ring | | (727) 954-5300

They say picatinney rails give a straight alignment from from rear ring to front ring, add rigidity to the action, and can add built in MOA for long range. All seems true. The thing that seems to be missing from traditional bases and rings though is the ability to adjust the rear ring for windage. On lot's of factory rifles, the action may not be perfectly square to the barrel. This means that the windage on the scope needs to be adjusted to bring the scope sight inline with the barrel for sight-in. sometimes this alignment can be way off and almost all of the windage adjustment can be used just to get on target. Now you no longer have any windage adjustment left for that long range shot on that windy day.

I use the picatinney rail for the straightness and added stiffness to the action, but i use Burris Signature Z rings for initial scope alignment. These have adjustable inserts that allow you to adjust the initial sight-in windage so that you have full use of the scope internal windage adjustment. You can also use them to add MOA just like you can with a rail.

Now days I just use a flat picatinney rail and use the Signature Z rings for initial scope alignment and to add any MOA if I need to. they have worked great for me. All I use anymore.

This last year I set up my first rifle with long range capability. The rifle I purchased is a Reminton 700 300 win mag 5R milspec. I put a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 mil/mil scope on it. I went with the Seekins 20 moa base and low rings. I used the JB Weld bedding technique for the base, and was very pleased with the outcome. It didn't seem to need bedding at first, but after getting out the feeler gauges it was clear that bedding was necessary.

After it was all done I sighted in at approx. 150 yds. I ended up with .5 Mils of down adjustment and 18.5 up. I had to adjust .3 Mils left to get to center.

I am very happy with the Seekins products.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.