need advice

jpb

I am new to this forum and thought I might pose my thoughts about a new gun I am considering to buy. I have no real knowledge of rifles. I only recently found out about ballistic coefficient and sectional density.I have hunted with a 300wby my whole life. My wby is shot out and so I have been considering having a rifle assembled by Virgin Valley Guns. I drew a muzzleloader elk tag and a high country mule deer tag, and a rifle bear tag this year. As such, I will need to have both a muzzleloader and a highpower in my pack in camp. I am thinking about getting a TC Encore muzzleloader and then having a custom Shilen barrel, and trigger job done and plan to use a sheperd scope. My questions are, what length barrel in what contour, how heavy, or light for the trigger, and what do you all think about the sheperd scope, and of course, any suggestions about my choice of caliber and or rifle are welcome and much appreciated.
JB

Are you going to have a custom Shilen black powder barrel or centerfire rifle chambering?? The Encore sounds like it might work okay.

On the Shepard scope..... there are better choices. Perhaps you could do a search here on this site for the shepard scope reviews.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.