Need advice with lightweight deer rifle

canderson

I am trying to plan/build a lightweight (under 11 pounds with a nightforce scope) deer rifle. Most of my shots will be under 700 yards. I have shot a 257 weatherby and liked the accuracy, lack of recoil, and the trajectory. I did not know if anyone had any experience with a ballistically similar cartridge in a 6mm-6.5mm caliber. If this has been discussed elsewhere, excuse me. I did not know about a 6x284, 243AI, 257 weatherby, 257 STW, 6.5x284, 6.5 STW? Any thoughts are appreciated. I would like to shoot the higher weight, higher BC bullets for a caliber. I am thinking about using a BAT or a stiller action.

Thanks,
Chris
gun)

I personally like the 6.5-.284 using 140g Hornady A-max for deer. I'm running 2990 fps. and carry enough energy ( approx. 900 ft/lbs energy) to reach and put down deer size game out to 800 yards. The other cartridges you mentioned will work also but I don't have any first hand experience shooting them.

For lightweight, would look also at the 7 WSM, 280 Ack Imp etc.

The boys from Hornady are really doing well with their version of the 280 AI, called the 280 H & K (Hornady and Kiff). Running the 168 AMAX well over 2900.

6mm is too light for consistent LR kills IMO. Go at least 6.5, and 7mm or 30 cal is better.

Dave Kiff from Pacific Tool and Die has the reamer and Hornady has the dies.

Jerry Stiller Predator action, or Pierce action would be my choice. Both top of the line, ready to go with no mods and less money than taking a 700 and accurizing it.

Bartlein, Hart, Kreiger, Broughton barrels.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.